1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 - Gas pedal gets stuck sometimes!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Zer0, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Hello all. 99 Prerunner 2.7 automatic.

My gas pedal gets stuck sometimes. It doesnt seem to want to go down when pressed. Sometimes, I have to press it a little hard for it to finally go down which often results in a strong launch of the vehicle. Issue only seems to happen when its cold outside. And it only seems to be the initial pressing of the gas pedal....once its pressed, it seems fine and is normal all the way through. Im thinking that the cold weather is making metal stick together somewhere which is causing my gas pedal to not press down easily on the first press on a green light. I peeled out a few times when it rained last week because I had to press down somewhat hard on my gas pedal. Is there a joint on gas pedal bar that can be greased or oiled? Thanks

2. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Sounds like you need to lube some linkage.

3. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    ^^

I would examine the throttle cable and throttle body. If you live near the shore, your TB spring/return mechanism might be kinda stubborn.

4. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    Zer0

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Do I lube the whole linkage? I was thinking my problem was somewhere near the gas pedal.....like a joint somewhere on the metal bar the gas pedal is connected to.

5. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    fast5speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    Trace the issue. Try to move the throttle body valve by hand. If it's sticky, you probably found the issue. Spray the spring down with lube. If the valve opens with no abnormal resistance, then try to grease your cable and step on the gas pedal a bunch to help the lube be delivered throughout all parts of the cable. If there is still an issue, then it is probably the gas pedal assembly that needs some attention. To address this, you might have to remove the entire pedal assembly.
    Generally, you want to start with easier and simpler procedures, then work your way down the list. I feel that tending to the valve and cable are both easier than dealing with the pedal.

6. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    Unhook your throttle cable from the throttle body and see if pedal is still hard to push.Also check where your throttle pivots on inside of firewall.

7. Feb 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    Zer0

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Thanks for the replies. Ill try what you guys suggested. What type of greese or lube do I use. Any suggestions.

8. Feb 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    I would use lithium grease from a spray can, wd-40 type sprays don't stay where you spray them very long.

9. Feb 10, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    I have the same problem, it's been getting worse on colder mornings. Guess it's time to lube some linkage...

10. Feb 10, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    fast5speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    I once talked to a motorcycle mechanic that swore up and down that lithium grease is the devil. He kept trying to engrain into my head that lithium grease (especially in cables) attracts every single speck of dirt in the universe and makes the cable 10x than before.
    He was saying for the first couple of weeks it will be heaven. Especially for a clutch cable. Then dirt will get in there and make you want to chop your left hand off from the agony.

He recommended graphite instead.

11. Feb 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    I agree with^ graphite is better than lithium as far as attracting dirt.

12. Feb 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Dri Slide is a option and a very good graphite and Moly lube in a drying solvent. The stuff I use on areas that need lube and can attract grit and dirt if anything else is used. Have used it on sticky control cables, small to ex large hinges, door hinge bushings, keyed lock mechanisms, guns, ect. Bottle comes with a long thin metal application tube and a cap for that. That bottle will last you a long time. Local gun shops should have that.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1247

13. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Check your ground straps within the engine compartment .
    Your truck was made in 1999 . Chances are the ground straps are corroded where they mount to the body and motor . Its not a common occurance but it does happen
    I have seen throttle cables turn into vehicle ground straps and actually melt

14. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Clean the throttle body...............
    Sounds like you have a ridge of gunk where're throttle blade rests.
    See this to often not to suggest doing first.
    Your idle may rise almost 1000 rpm after cleaning if its real dirty.

15. May 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    Zer0

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Finally getting around to trying to fix this issue. Where do I get that graphite grease you guys speak of? Can graphite grease be purchased at autoparts store? Deos graphite grease attract dirt?

Earlier I tried moving the throttle body valve by hand and it didnt seem to stick. It was smooth. I noticed that there are two cables going to the throttle body valve. Which cable is connected to the gas pedal? I believe the other cable is for power steering? I also noticed that these cables have a black jacket on them. Are these black jackets removable or do I just apply grease where the cable is visible?

I also plan to check the gas pedal itself as well as where the throttle cable pivots into the firewall as you guys suggested. I also forgot to ask, which cable is the one going to the gas pedal? There are two cables going to the throttle body valve. thanks

16. May 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    fast5speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    Graphite is not a grease, which is why it's so preferable. It does not attract dirt because it's nor wet at all. It is a very fine powder that pours like a liquid, so watch out. I think a high price is like $4 for a small tube.

Two cables go to the throttle body - cruise control, and the gas pedal. If you look carefully you will be able to trace the thin cable over the engine bay into the cruise control module bolted on the passenger fender. The thicker cable is for the gas pedal and can be traced to the firewall.
    You cannot remove the black sleeves that the cables are housed in. Don't try. You will ruin the cable.
    Unhook the gas pedal cable and try your best to pour the graphite powder down the sleeve. Have someone else repeatedly step on the gas pedal while you put the cable back out.

17. May 16, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    2000TRDTaco

2000TRDTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Angier, NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Prerunner
    I had the same problem on my 2000 prerunner.....greased it and it is so much better....only sticks sometimes now

18. May 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Since you are going to be by the footpedals checking piviot points,, you will see your thottle pedal and cable. Trace that cable out to your throttle body. You could disconnect the cable at both ends and push-pull it thru the sleeve to get a feel. It should be almost silky smooth. Any heavy drag thru the full range of motion might indicate the cable is worn or is in need of cable lube.

19. May 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    Jonboy1

Jonboy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Saraland Al.
    Vehicle:
    99 4X4 V6
    +1, A tell of this is rough idle as well

Products Discussed in

To Top