Notices

Truck won't start/turn over after wet/cold conditions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
RUger714 is on a distinguished road
RUger714's Tacoma Gallery
Truck won't start/turn over after wet/cold conditions

Hi All,

This morning my truck wouldn't start after a few days of light snow/very wet conditions here in Oregon.

Last night, however, it started fine though the starter lagged a bit.

When the key is in the ignition, the truck has NO power (no flickering lights, clock etc.). There are faint sounds coming from the starter when I attempt to get it running. Sounds like 1-2 second rapid bursts of very faint clicking, separated by 1 second of silence. Also, when my AC knob is on full blast, I can hear a slight buzzing, followed by what seems like dripping.

Fuses look good, I detached/reattached terminals (there is some slight corrosion on one).

Could it simply be a dead battery?

Thank you
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What happens when you jump-start it ?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
What happens when you jump-start it ?
I'm going to try that this afternoon if I can pull a friend in for some help, i'll report back.

I appreciate the response.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
you'd be surprised what a dead battery does.

but if it starts under dry conditions, i doubt thats the issue.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
SteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a dead battery... Sometimes it just takes a freeze to kill them off. If it starts when you jump it, I would say your battery is toast.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
You guys were right, brought my friend's jeep over and jumpstarted just fine.

Looks like time for a new battery eh?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Your battery could have just been undercharged due to driving habits and the cranking performance affected by colder temperatures or sulfation. You should fully recharge your battery and have it and charging system tested first, especially if the battery is less than five years old colder climates.

Battery dealers will be happy to replace undercharged healthy battery with a new one.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Had a equipment battery die suddenly. It's a very odd thing when it does. cranking and running just fine, the next start and it is dead to the world and wont do a thing. Battery would charge up,,but once a carbon pile load was applied during testing,,the needle would drop real fast.

Batteries used to not do that,,there was usually a slow crank warning or indicator that things were amiss,,now they just expire. Good is not cheap,,and cheap is not good.

When I bought a new battery I also picked up one of these Jump boxes that I now keep in the JoBox in the back. Have used it a few times for stubborn equipment and such. Red button on the face runs the test circuit/gauge. 2 prong plug on the front is for wall charging it. Cigarette DC outlet for 12 stuff. HD clamps and cables.
http://www.amazon.com/Clore-JNC660-J...t+Jump+Starter

Products Discussed in this Thread