1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Infant car seat in 2001 ext. cab Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tkbentzin, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    Good to know, I was just going by what I was told. The 2nd gens can also shut off the air bag and putting the car seat in the front would have been a lot more convenient than putting it in the back.

Thanks for the info, I just heard it on the radio on my way to work. I didn't look further into it.

2. Feb 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I'm sorry but this is just misinformed (by them, not you).

The reason why the hospital or your local PD claims that is because of the passenger side airbag potentially deploying.

On a 1st gen Tacoma you have the ability to turn off the airbag switch.

Bill Flinchbaugh personally installed my daughter's rear facing car seat in the front seat of my truck when we left the hospital after her birth.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Feb 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    My son rode in the front but was rear facing. Now he's five sits in the back on a booster with back support because he tall. It's not a family truckster, I would love a double cab.

4. Feb 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    nigglewiggle60

nigglewiggle60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nigel
    Oakhurst, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4 TRD
    Rubber mats, Bluetooth.
    I put my child in the front seat with air bag off and let the wife squeeze into the back. :p. Didn't want to even attempt to fit it in the back.

5. Apr 21, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    Inverno4

Inverno4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC Off-Road MT
    An FYI for any people that find this thread, I have a 2004 Xtra cab and my son's Graco Snugride 22 fits just fine in the back on the passenger side, rear facing with seat belt installation. The passenger seat has to be up all the way but I'm able to get it to lock in place. Also I removed the rear seat cushion to add an extra inch or two. Worked perfect!

6. Apr 21, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Anyone tried the recaro proride in the back rear facing? We just got one, but I haven't tried to fit it back their yet.

7. Apr 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    Inverno4

Inverno4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC Off-Road MT
    If the width carseat front-to-back is less than 27", it'll fit. Looking at the Recaro Proride, I think you're fine. Its still tight if you're carrying a passenger too, but our truck is just for short trips so the truck works fine.

8. Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    We have a 5th gen T4R for the majority of transport needs. Just curious really, I will occasionally have to pick up the kid.

9. May 7, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    So time to resurrect this thread, glad it is here, and since another year has passed, there may be some more options and experience out there.

The options in general are mind-boggling. This may be the hardest mod ever...

We are expecting in early August. I am really interested in making an infant seat work in the back of the Xtracab primarily so we can still go on longer trips with the trailer. One of our favorite areas is about 5 hours away, so there is no way the car seat in the front passenger seat will work for this.

We are focusing on a dedicated infant seat rear-facing set up that will allow dropping into a stroller (ideally), then bother with a larger upright front facing seat in a few years. By then, I may buy a 2nd gen DC. Looked into a 1st gen DC, and they are just too gutless with the auto tranny for my needs.

Anyway, specific options/success stories/wisdom with infant seats in our Xcabs?

It sounds like the Graco Snugride is a likely option based on responses here, but these reviews mention how the straps are a PITA to adjust. Is this really a big deal?

Any other options that have worked out in the back seat?

I found this article that assesses quite a few, but none specifically with our Xcab challenge:
    http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

Another particular seat that has my attention is the Britax B-safe. Anyone know if this will work?
    http://www.lucieslist.com/baby-registry-basics/infant-car-seats/

My head hurts.

10. May 7, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I ended up getting an FJ. The seats I tried to get back there either straight up wouldn't fit, or the passenger seat was not able to lock into place in the track, the infant seat required it to be too far forward. I also wasn't super thrilled about having my daughter in the front seat rear facing. It basically obscured my entire view out the passenger window. Not too fun driving in metro Boston traffic like that.

scocar likes this.
  11. May 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Sounds like you just wanted an FJ LOL.

Yeah, the front seat mirror blockage is really not good. I've seen this come up elsewhere. I would not be able to drive like that. I'm in a mainly urban area too with ridiculous freeway quick merges etc. With my rear tinted cab window and a cap with heavy tint, I can't see much unless it it broad daylight, and I can't afford to spin my head around most of the time anyway. : /

12. May 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    My daughter just turned 1. I put her in the back of my 04 ext cab since she was about 3 months. I removed the rear seat and used the cup holder extension. Have the Britax seat that just pops in and out of the base I forget what model it is. Pretty tight but it worked. I did finally give in and just got a new 2015 Doublecab though. Much easier!!

Chipskip and scocar like this.
  13. May 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    scocar[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 7, 2015 at 8:26 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Welcome to the site! So when you say removed the seat, you mean the lower portion that folds down? Or also the entire upper back pad? Also, if you wouldn't' mind terribly, can you look into the specific model when you have a chance? The variety is mind-boggling...
    So here we've got potentially conflicting feedback, if this happens to be the same Britax model seat. Did you leave the fold-down part of your seat in, or did you remove it? Seems like this couepl inches might make or break some options...

Thanks to you both for your posts.

15. May 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Another factor is how tall is your passenger? That will help with how much room you have for the car seat. I have 3 kids, 2, 4 and 8 now. I put the rear facing car seat in the back, it was a pita to get the base set up, but once the base was were I wanted it, I was able to just drop in the car seat. You can buy extra bases for extra vehicles.

I added a seatbelt and can do all 3 kids in the back for our camping trips. It's tight, but for the 2-3 hrs, it works.

A Tundra is in our future.

16. May 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    She is 5'6" so not bad.

What make/model are you using? You did the LATCH mod, correct? Didn't see an actual seat mentioned.

17. May 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    My wife is 5'2".

We had a Graco, car seat/stroller seat. Used it until each was 1, then we switch to a Britax forward facing. I don't remember the names of any of them. Only my littlest one is still in a car seat, the middle is in a booster and the oldest isn't in anything anymore.

I did do that latch mod. I used climbers webbing that was rated higher than the seatbelts. I connected it to the seatbelt mounts. It has worked great for securing. I have complete faith in it.

scocar[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I didn't remove the seat pad, when I tried to fit mine. That's a good idea.

19. May 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    Yes I removed the portion that folds down. Pretty sure we have the Britax B safe also I'll have to check. It wouldn't fit otherwise. Didn't really want to get rid of the truck but the double cab is much easier with her. I'm 6'3 and shes long like her dad so it was time.

scocar likes this.
  20. May 8, 2015 at 10:24 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I would very much like to see yout latch setup. Pics would be awesome if you can manage to find the time.
    OK, thanks for checking. We're both under 6 and don't anticipate that as an issue.

That said, I am looking down the road at a DC so when we go camping (or anywhere), it is no prob to take his "best friend in the whole world." Clearly he will need to learn to not shit his pants, talk, and make friends before that, but it is ineviatable, so part of me is agonizing over just getting a 2nd gen DC ASAP, but I just don't want to deal with that with all the other crap going on. It has already been a crazy year, still sorting out the "new" house after 1.5 years, love my truck now, so may issues...

Products Discussed in

To Top