1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rusty rust on a truck...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DontDriveDrunk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Feb 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    DontDriveDrunk

DontDriveDrunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New England
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Dunno just got it
    ... gives it character, unless it fails inspection.

Greetings! please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Mike or you can go by my handle here "DontDriveDrunk"

I don't claim to be very mechanically inclined so here I am, asking people who know much more than I do about trucks-specifically the Toyota Tacoma.

Anywho I bought a 95 Tacoma from a dealer in Rhode Island because my car is a death trap in the snow. The truck itself, has some cosmetic issues and some stuff that I figured isn't a big deal on a pickup truck that I plan of using and abusing lightly.

Now I don't know if you are aware but by law In RI any used car/truck MUST pass the state inspection before it can be sold. And it did. However when I brought it my mechanic for the MA state inspection it failed. Failed with flying colors. I was surprised by this because i presume the RI and MA inspections are very similar. After all they use the same equipment. But I digress

I called the dealer and we agreed I would need to bring the truck back to Providence and "let him take a gander"

After looking at it he concluded there were some issues and he agreed to fix it or credit me towards another truck. Now I just want a beater and i told him to fix it. And he did. New Shocks, gas tank, gas line, welded a big piece of steel to reenforce the frame and told me the tie rod may/may not be ok.

So I take it back and just before I go to the inspection station to redo it I notice the front spring mount is rusted to sh!t (can I write that?) It is flaky and scaly.

So I offer to you the question: can this be fixed?

Seems to me it would be pretty simple to cut the piece out and replace it with a new one, weld and be done with it. Am I correct? If yes, what is this going to set me back? Will I be able to do the hillbilly offroad truck stuff I want to do?

pictures inbound... stupid photobucket...

Thanks in advance for your responses

2. Feb 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If the spring mount is rusted out, I would tend to think that is the least of your worries as the rest of the frame is likely in horrible condition as well. You might want to have a Toyota dealership check the frame, that truck probably should have been part of the buyback.

3. Feb 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    and what "Dealer" is this?

4. Feb 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    DontDriveDrunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New England
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Dunno just got it
    That's the thing: most of it looks fine sans some spotting. I'll put up a couple of pictures later (hopefully) albeit I did find out its a cut and shut. The rear 3 feet behind the back axle is marked from a junk yard. Prolly should have mentioned it. I've already considered having Toyota look at it. They have deep pockets and vulnerable to popular opinion.

And I won't throw the dealer under the bus until I know how the chips fall. Though like I said; he is licensed dealer in Providence and he specializes in older tacomas

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Feb 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Toyota will assess rust damage on frame at a cost to you because recall ended on your truck in 2000. [/QUOTE]

6. Feb 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I'd have Toyota look at it, to be honest. Oh, and welcome to TW! (By the way, you can say "shit" here. I'm pretty sure everyone does.)

7. Feb 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    DontDriveDrunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New England
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Dunno just got it
    [/QUOTE]

I heard it ended Dec. 31 2012. However I've also been told Toyota is extremely sensitive to PR because their reputation for high milage autos. Its worth a shot regardless

8. Feb 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I heard it ended Dec. 31 2012. However I've also been told Toyota is extremely sensitive to PR because their reputation for high milage autos. Its worth a shot regardless[/QUOTE]

For the frame undercoating of the 01-04's it ended in nov 11.. Toyota dealer is no help they wouldn't have bought your truck back since 2010? I think 15 yrs from date of production. They won't help you... There's plenty of threads about all that and stuff. If I were you I'd take a hammer and tap on various points of the frame and see how sound it is. They rust on the inside a lot, you could very possibly have a bad frame which needs some welding

9. Feb 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Toyota extended the frame warranty to 15 years, which for a 1995 truck means it ended 4 years ago in 2010. There were also other requirements. For example, you must have owned the truck for at least a year (to prevent people from buying an old truck with known bad frame and flipping for 150% KBB under the buyback program).

You can buy new replacement spring buckets, but they are expensive. Best price online is about $322 each (item 18 here). Dealer parts counter will charge more if you buy local. Figure three hours of labor to zip off the old bucket, weld on the new one, and paint. Total will be about $650 per side.

Depending on the amount of rust, it may be cheaper to reinforce the existing spring bucket (by welding in a thin donut-shaped steel shim) than to replace it.

Products Discussed in

To Top