Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

01-04 plug & play dome & map LED?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb 01-04 plug & play dome & map LED?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...d-festoon/238/
any body know if these will work in the 01-04 dome and map lights without resistors? it looks like they have some resistors built into them, but i don't know for sure, because there isn't much info on them at the super bright led page. if that is the case, they seem perfect.

i been reading tons of threads about the 01-04's having issues with leds in the dome and map lights tonight. i don't want to have to fuck with resistors not because i can't solder, but because don't currently own a soldering gun.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
honestly no i dont think they will. someone chime in on here to give us some light on the bulbs that plug in and work without resistors!!! I just replaced my map and dome lights with the stock bulbs, I had some leds I had ordered off of ebay, but the resistors finally popped that I had soldered to them and the bulbs melted... so if I ever find some that doesnt require resistors I will gladly get more, so someone chime in with them working LEDS!!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also i wonder if there is a relay for the map and dome lights? i imagine the domes have one but i don't know for sure. anyways, today i changed the relay for my signals with an led relay and it corrected the hyper blink without any resistors. i may have to dig into that idea so this curse of the 01-04's may be lifted

EDIT: i checked today and i see a relay labeled dimmer. i'm not sure if it is for the dome light or for the gauges, maybe even headlights... anyone have some insight?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
i think those are the same ones i bought in my 03 double cab. replaced the dome and map lights and they work great.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

i'm so close to pulling the trigger on this purchase but i don't want it to be a waste
Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Those are the bulbs I have in my map and dome lights.

They DO NOT have resistors on them. I don't know where you might have saw that...

Anyways, they worked with the key on without resistors. To make them work with the key off: opening and closing the door, and the dimming function, you will need resistors. Honestly its not that hard to solder on resistors. It takes a minute or two and only costs a few bucks. I needed 2 1w 100ohm resisors the the dome lights, and 1 1w 100ohm resistor on each of the map lights.

Because the LEDs draw so much less wattage, I doubt you'll find any that work without resistors.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice

Name: Brock
02goldie's Tacoma Gallery
interested in this also.
the led dome i have now only works with the key on. although i found that with the key off and the door open, if i turn on one of the map lights, the led dome goes bright?? map lights are still normal bulbs
Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post

They DO NOT have resistors on them. I don't know where you might have saw that...

Anyways, they worked with the key on without resistors. To make them work with the key off: opening and closing the door, and the dimming function, you will need resistors. Honestly its not that hard to solder on resistors. It takes a minute or two and only costs a few bucks. I needed 2 1w 100ohm resisors the the dome lights, and 1 1w 100ohm resistor on each of the map lights.

Because the LEDs draw so much less wattage, I doubt you'll find any that work without resistors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02goldie View Post
interested in this also.
the led dome i have now only works with the key on. although i found that with the key off and the door open, if i turn on one of the map lights, the led dome goes bright?? map lights are still normal bulbs
ya if you have at least one normal bulb in it will draw the correct power and light the LEDs. If you have all LEDs then only with the key on will they work, unless you get the resistors
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

funky, on my 03 double cab i replaced the dome light with one with out a resister and it still dims and works as normal
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...d-festoon/238/
any body know if these will work in the 01-04 dome and map lights without resistors? it looks like they have some resistors built into them, but i don't know for sure, because there isn't much info on them at the super bright led page. if that is the case, they seem perfect.

i been reading tons of threads about the 01-04's having issues with leds in the dome and map lights tonight. i don't want to have to fuck with resistors not because i can't solder, but because don't currently own a soldering gun.
Get with CJ,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...pers-leds.html

Great guy... He set me up with my LEDs, Nice, Bright & function properly...
If you have any questions, he will get back to you..
>G
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Looking at the pix on sbled, the back side of them show two things that look like resistors

And I get that it's cheap and easy to add resistors, but as I said above I don't own a soldering iron
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
Get with CJ,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...pers-leds.html

Great guy... He set me up with my LEDs, Nice, Bright & function properly...
If you have any questions, he will get back to you..
>G
i'll shoot him a pm since u say they work, but his page in that link says the LEDs are for 1st gens pre 01...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
JasonLee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
JasonLee's Tacoma Gallery
An update to this since I am now in the same situation with my 2003. I have three of the DE3175 Festoon LEDs from Superbrightleds - two in the map lights and one in the dome. They are bright and white but do not work unless the ignition is on.

The large cylinders on the back of the SuperBrightLED festoons are capacitors not resistors. Capacitors smooth out the voltage going into the circuit that drives the LEDs. They have no effect on resolving the resistance issue that is the cause of the problem with the auto-dimming circuit that is present on the 2001-2004 Tacos.

I subscribed and will try to remember to update this thread with my solution that hopefully does not involve soldering or cutting any of the OEM wiring.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLee View Post
An update to this since I am now in the same situation with my 2003. I have three of the DE3175 Festoon LEDs from Superbrightleds - two in the map lights and one in the dome. They are bright and white but do not work unless the ignition is on.

The large cylinders on the back of the SuperBrightLED festoons are capacitors not resistors. Capacitors smooth out the voltage going into the circuit that drives the LEDs. They have no effect on resolving the resistance issue that is the cause of the problem with the auto-dimming circuit that is present on the 2001-2004 Tacos.

I subscribed and will try to remember to update this thread with my solution that hopefully does not involve soldering or cutting any of the OEM wiring.
thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #16

Short update to my post above. My dome light does fade out correctly, so the real problem is the circuit that is bypassed when the ignition is on (for the dome to work) or accessory (for the personal/map lights to work).
Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLee View Post
Short update to my post above. My dome light does fade out correctly, so the real problem is the circuit that is bypassed when the ignition is on (for the dome to work) or accessory (for the personal/map lights to work).
You ever get it figured out?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #18

Not yet. I was on vacation and the truck has been sitting in the garage. I've got some other things I want to get done first before pulling out the multimeter and wiring diagrams like changing the front diff oil and getting a list of recovery gear together that I want to buy.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i'll shoot him a pm since u say they work, but his page in that link says the LEDs are for 1st gens pre 01...
That price is for the pre 01s. I ordered a dome light from him that has a resister on it and it works perfectly. I had the same problem with my 04.