LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What do you use Dino or synthetic oil???

Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #21
fast5speed is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
fast5speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
Lol, first time I read this I thought you said you just did your first oil change at 118k.
First oil change since I got the truck. Actually this Tacoma is the opposite of my Nissan Hardbody I had.

The Tacoma is quiet when cold, and ticks when up to temp.
My Nissan would have the loudest lifter tap you ever heard when cold. I thought it was a rod knock for a long time. Best I can describe it is banging sledgehammers on thick metal. But when it warmed up, that thing was silent.

What pisses me off most is the lifter tap is most of the reason I sold the truck. It still ran fine after 35k of tapping, I just couldn't stand waking the neighborhood up every morning anymore!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
I don't care about you!
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I have been a diesel tech for over 23 years. If an engine comes with synthetic oil then use synthetic. . 1st gen Tacoma came with dino So I run dino. If you do regular oil and filter changes dino oil will be just fine. I have seen no benefit to using synthetic. I do about 30-50 oil samples on engines a month with dino and synthetic. Its all about regular oil changes......
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
I have been a diesel tech for over 23 years. If an engine comes with synthetic oil then use synthetic. . 1st gen Tacoma came with dino So I run dino. If you do regular oil and filter changes dino oil will be just fine. I have seen no benefit to using synthetic. I do about 30-50 oil samples on engines a month with dino and synthetic. Its all about regular oil changes......
Agreed. I agree that regularly changing the oil is far more important that which type of oil.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5speed View Post
First oil change since I got the truck. Actually this Tacoma is the opposite of my Nissan Hardbody I had.

The Tacoma is quiet when cold, and ticks when up to temp.
My Nissan would have the loudest lifter tap you ever heard when cold. I thought it was a rod knock for a long time. Best I can describe it is banging sledgehammers on thick metal. But when it warmed up, that thing was silent.

What pisses me off most is the lifter tap is most of the reason I sold the truck. It still ran fine after 35k of tapping, I just couldn't stand waking the neighborhood up every morning anymore!
I had the 2nd body style frontier(98) before the tacoma. Less then 60k miles when I wrecked it . It was always silent, but same engine, 2.4l right? I knew a girl who had a hardbody that did just what your describing. Sounded like it had no oil for 3 seconds haha. An my tacoma does just what your saying. Semi quiet(lots of fan, and a flowmaster ), but ticks at temp
Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #25
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
While I do agree with you about drain intervals, there are certain advantages to synthetic. Lower temps, better lube at extreme temps, extended drain periods, no oil breakdown. And most engines come from the factory on Dino to break in, because an engine will not break in correctly on synthetic
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of High end engines come with Synthetic from the factory, no break in period needed.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #27
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And most engines come from the factory on Dino to break in, because an engine will not break in correctly on synthetic
You were doing pretty well up to this point.

The Corvette and many other performance vehicles, including BMW and Mercedes, have been coming from the factory with synthetic for over 15 years.

The 2.7 Tacoma also comes from the factory with synthetic and has since 2011.
Same goes for almost all of the rest of the Toyota line.
Only the 4.0 Tacoma, Yaris, and Avalon do not spec synthetic.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You were doing pretty well up to this point.

The Corvette and many other performance vehicles, including BMW and Mercedes, have been coming from the factory with synthetic for over 15 years.

The 2.7 Tacoma also comes from the factory with synthetic and has since 2011.
Same goes for almost all of the rest of the Toyota line.
Only the 4.0 Tacoma, Yaris, and Avalon do not spec synthetic.
I stand corrected then. I was told that most engines wouldn't break it right or quick on synthetic because of how well it lubricates and to break in an engine on Dino oil
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #29
I don't care about you!
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
While I do agree with you about drain intervals, there are certain advantages to synthetic. Lower temps, better lube at extreme temps, extended drain periods, no oil breakdown. And most engines come from the factory on Dino to break in, because an engine will not break in correctly on synthetic
Well I work on lots of engines that come with synthetic from the factory. As far as benefits the truth is in the pudding. I have engines with over 15,000 hours on them we do oil samples every oil change some run dino some run synthetic. The particle counts on the dino oil is no higher than the synthetic. Like I said we do anywhere from 30-50 oil samples a month on our customers engines. So I am talking from 20+ years experience ..
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #30
lipster is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was told that most engines wouldn't break it right or quick on synthetic because of how well it lubricates and to break in an engine on Dino oil
I've been told a lot of things.
I don't believe everything I've been told.
I don't even believe everything I think...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I stand corrected then. I was told that most engines wouldn't break it right or quick on synthetic because of how well it lubricates and to break in an engine on Dino oil
There was once a time that you had to break in an engine on non-detergent oil or the rings would not seat properly.

Times have changed, and with them, engine construction materials, tolerances, and design.

Sadly, a lot of old-school shadetree "mechanics" do not keep up on progress so they continue to repeat what they have heard for 30 years, be it a truth that is no longer true, or a myth that was never true.
Every now and then I get caught on something that I was taught in the 70s and have to verify and re-think it.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #32
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has 238k and the previous owner used standard 5w-30 oil from the dealership. It doesn't leak or burn any oil so I'm not going to switch it now. My other car, a honda fit, I use synthetic and in most of my previous cars but with the tacoma, I'm going to keep it as is.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There was once a time that you had to break in an engine on non-detergent oil or the rings would not seat properly.

Times have changed, and with them, engine construction materials, tolerances, and design.

Sadly, a lot of old-school shadetree "mechanics" do not keep up on progress so they continue to repeat what they have heard for 30 years, be it a truth that is no longer true, or a myth that was never true.
Every now and then I get caught on something that I was taught in the 70s and have to verify and re-think it.
I have learned something tonight!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #34
Quote:
It was always silent, but same engine, 2.4l right? I knew a girl who had a hardbody that did just what your describing. Sounded like it had no oil for 3 seconds
I had the 3.0 v6.

Yep. Sounding like it had a lack of oil for a couple seconds would be the perfect description
Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5speed View Post
I had the 3.0 v6.

Yep. Sounding like it had a lack of oil for a couple seconds would be the perfect description
She had the 2.4. And with 287k miles, she might not have had oil in the top at startup. It always made me cringe every time she started it up haha
Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #36
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I swapped to full synthetic 2 oil changes ago. Mobil 1 5w30. I will agree with the thin oil. I have a small tick, what seems to be a lifter tick, and it seems to be worse with this oil. Would a slighter thicker oil maybe the ticket? Like 5w20? Sorry to thread jack

This is the reason I stopped using M1 because if a tick or valve noise. I went back to Dino and no more noise.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #37
Terminal4 is on a distinguished road

Terminal4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hah my buddy says the same exact thing; he was also a diesel mech for 15 years, works at irvine chevy now...my rig just hit 230k, runs great wth dino 5w30 every 3500 miles..
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #38
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I use "High Mileage" dino oil. Seems to work well, after a few months of me changing it myself (using better oil than my mechanic) my truck has stopped leaking
Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
This is the reason I stopped using M1 because if a tick or valve noise. I went back to Dino and no more noise.
Mine had the tick on Dino. Just seems to make it a little louder on m1. I prefer to run sythetic mostly for the extended drain intervals. I'm gonna be doing a oil analysis at 5k to see how long I can push it. There's a guy on here who was at 11k and they told him to had 2k more according to his analysis. He also has well over 300k on his truck. I think it's like 317k, and he's been doing drain intervals at about 10k regularly. That's something you can't do with Dino oil
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #40
yoterdude is on a distinguished road

Name: Jared
yoterdude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
Mobil 1 is notorious for ticking in the top end. I'm trying this M1 0w-40 but its still ticking some. I'm thinking about trying some German Castrol 0w-30 to see if it will stop.