Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What do you use Dino or synthetic oil???

Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
What do you use Dino or synthetic oil???

Like the title says. what do you guys use on your 1st gen taco Dino or synthetic oil??? Brand??? Let's hear it.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
5W30, what ever meets Toyota's specs and is cheapest.
So far, that has been standard dino oil. Over 200k on my 3.4, and doesn't burn a drop, and starts at -27 F.
I have 2 other cars that require 0W30, and they get synthetic, because that is the only way you can get 0W30.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
Like the tittle stats what do you guys use on your 1st gen taco Dino or synthetic oil??? Brand??? Let's hear it.
Mobil 1 Synthetic. You said tittle.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoterdude View Post
I'm running some synthetic 0w-40 Mobil 1 now. I have been using 5w-30 Mobil 1 but I believe it is a little thin for 30w.

I agree with you Mobil 1 5w 30 it's really thin
Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
Full syn, 5w30 autozone brand
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
M1 5w20

And there's already 5 or more threads just like this, some with polls.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
Dino. Oil and filter changed every 3500. 90% highway. I'll probably burn thru 2 frames before the motor gives up.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I run Redline fully synthetic
It costs about twice as much as good dino; but, it's rated (and I trust it) to last, at least, 4 times as long
So, the way I figure it... I'm actually saving money in the long run
Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped to full synthetic 2 oil changes ago. Mobil 1 5w30. I will agree with the thin oil. I have a small tick, what seems to be a lifter tick, and it seems to be worse with this oil. Would a slighter thicker oil maybe the ticket? Like 5w20? Sorry to thread jack
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

5w20 is thinner than 5w30
5w30 is the proper weight for your engine.
You have a 99... what are the valve adjustment specs and intervals for your engine?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
5w20 is thinner than 5w30
5w30 is the proper weight for your engine.
You have a 99... what are the valve adjustment specs and intervals for your engine?
Ok, I must have gotten confused and went the wrong way. Tbh, I don't know. And it probably hasn't been done and is past due. If I'm not mistaken I think it have heard the 3.4l valves are self adjusting? Maybe I'm wrong. I know there are shims that are supposed to be replaced every so often. At idle is an intermittent tick, but is steady with rpm when you drive. I can hear it, but a lot of people can't. I had my personal mech look at it and he said he wouldn't worry about it, but I know it's not normal.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #14

If it has hydraulic lifters (self adjusting), then there are no shims to replace.
I'm not familiar with the 3.4.
Now, are you sure it's not an injector tick? That is a common complaint on the 2nd Gen.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
fast5speed is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
fast5speed's Tacoma Gallery
I have come to the consensus that these motors (3.4l) 'just tick'. They 'just do'. Mine does. And it pisses me off. Very noticeable from in the cab, only 118k.
I just did my first oil change and used Mobil 1 I believe, but definitely synthetic. I used the recommended viscosity in the owners manual. I forget what it is. This sucker takes 5.5qt though!

I used to use Royal Purple on my old truck, and was really impressed with the lubrication properties, but $11/qt is very hard to justify. I understand that you "can" go like 12-15k miles between oil changes with a quality oil like Royal Purple, but I would never do that.
Oil needs to be changed frequently, but not for the reason you might think.
When you drain your oil out at 5k (or even more) miles, it still lubricates fine, but it's turned black because of all the blow-by. After so many miles, your oil becomes more and more diluted with gasoline, which does not like oil function properly.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If it has hydraulic lifters (self adjusting), then there are no shims to replace.
I'm not familiar with the 3.4.
Now, are you sure it's not an injector tick? That is a common complaint on the 2nd Gen.
No it's not injectors. I know that sound, you can hear that as well. It's just a light tick. This is louder. My truck is very noisy. I have one of the loudest valve trains I have ever heard of the 3.4, which is already known to be loud. I have a buddy though that had his worked on by the same mechanic, and apparently he wishes his was a quiet as mine haha. Anyway, I've read there are shims that are supposed to be checked and replaced if out of spec, so I guess my valves aren't self adjusting
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5speed View Post
I have come to the consensus that these motors (3.4l) 'just tick'. They 'just do'. Mine does. And it pisses me off. Very noticeable from in the cab, only 118k.
I just did my first oil change and used Mobil 1 I believe, but definitely synthetic. I used the recommended viscosity in the owners manual. I forget what it is. This sucker takes 5.5qt though!

I used to use Royal Purple on my old truck, and was really impressed with the lubrication properties, but $11/qt is very hard to justify. I understand that you "can" go like 12-15k miles between oil changes with a quality oil like Royal Purple, but I would never do that.
Oil needs to be changed frequently, but not for the reason you might think.
When you drain your oil out at 5k (or even more) miles, it still lubricates fine, but it's turned black because of all the blow-by. After so many miles, your oil becomes more and more diluted with gasoline, which does not like oil function properly.
Oh these engines do tick! No doubt about that. I almost didn't buy it wen I heard it up to temp the first time. Sounded like it was about to fall apart. But I'm glad I did. Like I said, I swear I have the loudest valve train of any tacoma I hav seen. But this tick is different. It's louder.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #18
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Valvoline SynPower 5W30
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5speed View Post
I just did my first oil change
Lol, first time I read this I thought you said you just did your first oil change at 118k.