Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Add-a-Leaf

Old 02-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Add-a-Leaf

I have been searching through the forums for a few days now on Add-a-Leaf's. I have a completely stock 1998, 2.7L, 5 speed, x-tra cab, 6.5 foot bed Tacoma. I haul around 200-300 pounds of gear, plus the camper shell, during my camping trips and wanted to beef up the back so it can handle the weight with no issues. Can somebody assist me in putting together all of the components I would need to get about 1.5-2'' in the back, maybe an inch in the front? I'm more concerned about the back being able to handle the weight. Sorry if this is a redundant question but I am looking for a straightforward answer or a suggestion. I am wanting to purchase all of this stuff this week since I have finally put the money aside. My budget it around $600-900 dollars. Thank you Tacoma World.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Add-a-Leaf-photo-2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Attached are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Add-a-Leaf-photo-3.jpg   Add-a-Leaf-photo-2-3-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Hawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Hawaiian05's Tacoma Gallery
Rather than an add a leaf you might wanna consider a new leaf pack, especially since you want a little lift. Check out Toytec's website for some options and full kits. There's also Wheeler's Off Road and Down South Motorsports, thoug I've only made purchases through toytec and was satisfied.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Allpro (expos for HD)
Dakar leaf pack
Wheelersoffroad
and the OMD spring mod
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I meant, a new leaf pack! If I ordered the new leaf pack from Toytec, do I need anything else? or anything I should replace while I'm down there?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
What about the front? Stainless Steel break lines?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
for the front, since you only want around 1" then you should get the bilstein adjustable shocks which are adjustable from 1.75" - 2.5". If 1.75" is too much then you can get new OME 880 or 881 coils. I beleive the 880's will get you arounf 1.25" lift and the 881's around 2", but dont hold me the these exact numbers, they are an estimate. Lastly, if you want to go cheap, then get a 1/2" top plate spacer that will yield you 1" of lift. With the top plate spacer you will have to extend the top plate bolts.

For the rear a new leaf pack like the ones mentioned above would be a great addition for the weight you carry in the bed. I have the DAKARS and love them. Only thing I would do differetly is, I would add the AAL from the get go. OME offers an AAL that fits into the dakar leaf pack for extra weight capacity and higher free standing height.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
for the front, since you only want around 1" then you should get the bilstein adjustable shocks which are adjustable from 1.75" - 2.5". If 1.75" is too much then you can get new OME 880 or 881 coils. I beleive the 880's will get you arounf 1.25" lift and the 881's around 2", but dont hold me the these exact numbers, they are an estimate. Lastly, if you want to go cheap, then get a 1/2" top plate spacer that will yield you 1" of lift. With the top plate spacer you will have to extend the top plate bolts.

For the rear a new leaf pack like the ones mentioned above would be a great addition for the weight you carry in the bed. I have the DAKARS and love them. Only thing I would do differetly is, I would add the AAL from the get go. OME offers an AAL that fits into the dakar leaf pack for extra weight capacity and higher free standing height.
Thank you so much for your help. I'll post in here the parts list tomorrow to make sure i'm not forgetting any components.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...-sport-shocks/
A bit more than you want to spend,,but it is complete for the most part. Add shipping.

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/l...-98-04-tacoma/
Order these plus 881 springs and round up some HD Bilstein's. Should come in just under what you have to spend + shipping. An upgrade to the HD shocks would be the Bilstein 5100's.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Junkyard rebuilds for about $100, these gave 3" lift, increased load rate,great flexing for the dirt, major ride quality improvement on/off road...

& you'll need extended rear shocks & possibly ext. brakeline also
Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
A bit more than you want to spend,,but it is complete for the most part. Add shipping.

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/l...-98-04-tacoma/
Order these plus 881 springs and round up some HD Bilstein's. Should come in just under what you have to spend + shipping. An upgrade to the HD shocks would be the Bilstein 5100's.
What would be missing from the first link?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
TacoLoco98 is on a distinguished road

TacoLoco98's Tacoma Gallery
Also be prepared to cut the main eye bolt (forward end of leaf spring) between the spring and the frame hanger. Angle grinder worked great. Judging by the look of your leafs, this will likely be the scenario.

Also I soaked mine with penetrating oil for weeks leading up to the removal and an air impact wrench still couldn't break them free..
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #13
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLoco98 View Post
Also be prepared to cut the main eye bolt (forward end of leaf spring) between the spring and the frame hanger. Angle grinder worked great. Judging by the look of your leafs, this will likely be the scenario.

Also I soaked mine with penetrating oil for weeks leading up to the removal and an air impact wrench still couldn't break them free..
I was anticipating doing that. I rebuilt 2 jeep wranglers (1986 cj-7, 1991 YJ) but that ended after high school in 2007. Just now (Feb 2014) and I own a Tacoma and looking to get back into my old adventure lifestyle. Fortunately, this website and its users are very helpful.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
My knowledge is a little rusty but it's all coming back to me.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
TacoLoco98 is on a distinguished road

TacoLoco98's Tacoma Gallery
Well yeah! We aren't a bunch of Jeepsters ya know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondy52 View Post
I was anticipating doing that. I rebuilt 2 jeep wranglers (1986 cj-7, 1991 YJ) but that ended after high school in 2007. Just now (Feb 2014) and I own a Tacoma and looking to get back into my old adventure lifestyle. Fortunately, this website and its users are very helpful.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
I have made the transformation! http://wheelersoffroad.com/cart/ Would this be everything I would need? I'm trying to organize the things I need tonight. What about bushings and what size U-bolts? Coils?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
I added front and rear brake lines as well.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery

I think it will be more efficient to order these plus the AAL. I think I'll go with the 882 coils? I don't have any weight up front but may do that in the future.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
1stGenDriver is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
1stGenDriver's Tacoma Gallery
My 03 has an extra leaf in it because we used to have a slide on camper on the back and then towed a trailer behind it at the same time. worked like a champ but its one hell of a bumpy ride with nothing on it!

-Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
US Patriot
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenDriver View Post
My 03 has an extra leaf in it because we used to have a slide on camper on the back and then towed a trailer behind it at the same time. worked like a champ but its one hell of a bumpy ride with nothing on it!

-Good Luck!
I usually have the shell on the back plus 250 pounds of gear for a 3 hour drive, twice a month. I don't want to over do it but I don't want to be disappointed either.