Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prerunner 4wd/sas conversion

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
SC_Taco is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
SC_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner 4wd/sas conversion

this is my first post and i have a few questions. i have a 2004 tacoma prerunner sr5 trd and i want to make it 4wd. i know this has been done but i just have a few random questions before i cut the front of my truck off. i want to a all pro solid axle swap, the complete taco supreme sas kit, put arb lockers front and rear. my question is the sas should be the same as it is on a factory 4wd since the trucks are basicly the same right?

now the other questions...
1) Where can i find a factory tacoma transfer case?
2) what is the best year and such to look for?
3) would it be easier to just change out the trans and transfer case to a factory 4wd unit.

Any help will be appreciated, im sure there is a wealth on knowledge on this site
Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Soundwave has a spectacular aura aboutSoundwave has a spectacular aura about

Soundwave's Tacoma Gallery
Sell your truck and buy a 4x4 Tacoma. It will be quicker and easier
Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Taco View Post
this is my first post and i have a few questions. i have a 2004 tacoma prerunner sr5 trd and i want to make it 4wd. i know this has been done but i just have a few random questions before i cut the front of my truck off. i want to a all pro solid axle swap, the complete taco supreme sas kit, put arb lockers front and rear. my question is the sas should be the same as it is on a factory 4wd since the trucks are basicly the same right?

now the other questions...
1) Where can i find a factory tacoma transfer case?
2) what is the best year and such to look for?
3) would it be easier to just change out the trans and transfer case to a factory 4wd unit.

Any help will be appreciated, im sure there is a wealth on knowledge on this site
Sounds like an awesome project you have planned!

I would think that it would be "easier" to do a tranny and tansfercase swap, since all the parts are together. As for specific years, to my knowledge they're the same from 95.5 on through to 04, but don't quote me on it. Chris4x4 might have some good information for you (he's the best and brightest we've got), but I would post this thread on TTORA and see what you get. I don't know of anybody else that has the SAS on this site.

Good luck! I want to see this bad boy when you're done!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03 View Post
Sounds like an awesome project you have planned!

I would think that it would be "easier" to do a tranny and tansfercase swap, since all the parts are together. As for specific years, to my knowledge they're the same from 95.5 on through to 04, but don't quote me on it. Chris4x4 might have some good information for you (he's the best and brightest we've got), but I would post this thread on TTORA and see what you get. I don't know of anybody else that has the SAS on this site.

Good luck! I want to see this bad boy when you're done!
Granted it's an '05, but Wyatt and Jason have SAS'd a 1st gen...

The Beast

Here's the Baby Beast...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Get on TTORA and look in the classified section as well as pirate4x4's classified section for the tranny/ Tcase. Someone correct me if I am wrong but you'll need a 4x4 tranny with a matching t case I think any 1st gen taco would do. Could also look for a wrecked truck for a donor.

Also look for a 84/85 toyota front axle, they are stronger. You'll need a driveline and a tom woods would be a good choice. Also you'll need to rebuild said axle, look at some http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/ Also think about lockers elocker or arb or a lockright. And a high steer setup.

This should get you started.

Not sure what is in the all pro SAS kit.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
SC_Taco is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
SC_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
the all pro system is a hybrid d60 axle and a coilover 3 link set up. it come with all the brackets and bolt needed and the lift is adjustable from 4-7" i think, then just set the rear to match, and im planning on ARB lockers front and rear with 5.29 or 4.88 gears
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
if you do go with the 79-85 toyota axle u will need to get a 79-95 toyota transfercase because the thirdmember is on the passenger side as the tacos is on the driverside
the 79-85 axle swap would be way cheeper than buying a d60/hybrid axle swap
but if i were u id sell the taco and buy a older yota that already has the solid axle and put a lift and bigger tires on it but thats just me
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
if you do go with the 79-85 toyota axle u will need to get a 79-95 toyota transfercase because the thirdmember is on the passenger side as the tacos is on the driverside
the 79-85 axle swap would be way cheeper than buying a d60/hybrid axle swap
but if i were u id sell the taco and buy a older yota that already has the solid axle and put a lift and bigger tires on it but thats just me
good catch I forgot about the t-case change.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Red Taco View Post
good catch I forgot about the t-case change.
and 1.5 wheel spacers too
forgot that