1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate protection

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by abunch, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Feb 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    abunch

abunch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    My tailgate is all bent up on the inside from sliding tool boxes in and out from work. It still works functionally but it looks like a ran over it about 10 times. I found a new tailgate on craigslist, but when I went to look for some tailgate protection I found nothing available online.

I work with alot of metal fab shops and am considering have them fab me up a tailgate plate like the ones I have seen for second gens:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/29117-weak-tailgate-reinforcement-solution.html

I don't think relentless ever made these for 1st gens or even 2nd gens.

If I can setup a deal where I make 10 or 20 of these would any of you 1st gen owners be interested in them? I am not a fan of diamond plate, so they would probably be bare steel or aluminum.

I can also powder coat them if there is interest.

2. Feb 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Use a crane or hoist to lift tool box out. Swhat we do. Get it to beefed and you'll become over confident till you have a catastrophic failure! Haha?

3. Feb 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    abunch

abunch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    I got prices back from one place. They could do a run of 15-20 in aluminum for $199. That does not cover powder coating. Seems a little high to me. I was hoping for about half of that price.

I am gonna ask around to some smaller shops to see if they can beat the price.

Products Discussed in

To Top