1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed ignition problem: Paranoid follow-up question.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TelemarkSean, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feb 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    TelemarkSean

TelemarkSean [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1996 v6 4x4
    Cold air intake.
    My 1996 v6 started stumbling/shuddering at lower RPMs. This would go away as the truck warmed up but it got progressively worse day-by-day.

At first I thought it was a drivetrain problem but I tracked the problem down to either fuel delivery or ignition problems. It turns out that the contact between the ignition wire connecting #1 coil to the driver's side cylinder (4) was corroded and making poor contact. It wasn't a regular enough misfire to give a computer/diagnostic error (which made it hard to diagnose). However, it became obvious because, eventually, there were occasional visible sparks from the coil/wire contact to the engine cover. :eek:

The solution was replacing the wire ($70-ish for all 3 at AutoZone) and cleaning the contact on the coil. I checked the coils, changed the plugs, and cleaned the throttle body while "in there".

Anyway. As I removed the ignition wires, I noted the connections and I drew a little diagram so that I would have a reference for putting them back properly. Being overly anal, I doublechecked my diagram with online manuals (from forums, AutoZone's website, etc) and I found that these disagree with my diagram. The proper connection is 1-4, 3-6, 5-2, right? I installed it this way and it's running wonderfully. :D However, I'm a little concerned that it had been hooked up wrong since the last time anyone messed with the wiring which, for all I know, could have been someone on the assembly line 150,000 miles ago. It's more likely that it was hooked up correctly and that I just got my wires crossed (har har!) and screwed up my diagram. I just want to make sure.

TL;DR: If the ignition wires were hooked up wrong (say, 1-4, 3-2, 5-6), it would obviously run like shit (or not at all), right? Because two cylinders would be firing at the wrong point in their cycle?

Thanks!

2. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    It will run if firing order isn't right, but not good.

3. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    TL;DR: If the ignition wires were hooked up wrong (say, 1-4, 3-2, 5-6), it would obviously run like shit (or not at all), right? Because two cylinders would be firing at the wrong point in their cycle?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would probably backfire at start up or during operation. The computer might kick in and back it off due to the knock sensor,,but it will still run horribly,,and be easy to see and feel.

Products Discussed in

To Top