Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I need help with the upgrades and repairs needed to this Tacoma.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
MaleChauvinistPig is on a distinguished road
Navy: Boiler Tech and Gas Turbine (Mechanical)
MaleChauvinistPig's Tacoma Gallery
I need help with the upgrades and repairs needed to this Tacoma.

Howdy from North Carolina,
I am a displaced Texacan. and I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma pre-runner, TRD crew cab with 153000 miles now. Call it a project. This is my first Toyota. I was long time chevy owner until a 2009 Colorado ruined me. That was the last straw. I owned it a month and got rid of it. What junk!!!! Anyway, I bought this 2003 and I have a laundry list of things to do. As a chevy owner you might expect for me to be good at fixing engines, BUT I am not good a fixing electrical issues. Such as, a bulb is out on the A/C control selector switch and the window controls work and then not work. I have replaced the transmission oil and filter, rear diff oil, spark plugs and wires, fuel filters, side mirrors (just because they were chrome and mine weren't), battery, alignment was done. basic stuff really. Is there a place where I can buy a manual or a website that you guys go to buy lights, control switches little stuff like that??? I need the help the web is full of unscrupulous sites. thanks for your help!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW

Check in the 1gen section for help with your issues.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Trdparts4u.com
http://tps.toyotaofdallas.com
As for a manual....we were able to gain access to the FSM, FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. But Toyota put the kabash on that about a year or so ago.
In it you could find the part numbers, torque values, etc.
Now you have to go to the service department to get access or just by the cd from them $$$$$

Did you try one of the parts dealers like autozone?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I use AlldataDIY.com for online manuals. Very detailed and a very good price.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
MaleChauvinistPig is on a distinguished road
Navy: Boiler Tech and Gas Turbine (Mechanical)
MaleChauvinistPig's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

I will try that website for the manual and lights. Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to Tacomas

do a search in the first Gen section for bulbs, something pops into my head for a 74 or something like these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...nt-bulbs/neo4/
Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Pakrat has a spectacular aura aboutPakrat has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brian
Pakrat's Tacoma Gallery
It do believe the bulbs are 74s, now are you saying the bulb is out on the switch that you push in to make the ac come on? Not sure how to change the bulb in the actual switch, never had to. But I had a bulb go out on the climate control panel, you have to remove the 3 knobs and faceplate, and remove the climate control assembly, the bulbs are installed from the back side of the cc panel,I had to take out 4screws I think to access the bulbs there are 3 of them the bulb is in a plastic 1/4 turn piece. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Demosthenes is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: ESD, BTM
Demosthenes's Tacoma Gallery
Negative! The climate control bulbs are NOT 74s! They are actually a proprietary bulb that you can't get, except from Toyota, and iirc, they're about $5 apiece. I found a link for LED replacements, if you want to go that route. Otherwise, gotta go to the dealer.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Hawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Hawaiian05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Negative! The climate control bulbs are NOT 74s! They are actually a proprietary bulb that you can't get, except from Toyota, and iirc, they're about $5 apiece. I found a link for LED replacements, if you want to go that route. Otherwise, gotta go to the dealer.
You got that link for the LED replacements? Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Yeah, sorry about that...work got in the way. Here's the link:

http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/r...q=neo+wedge+t4

The type of bulb is the neo-wedge and the size is T4. If you follow the link, they come in pairs, in all the shades of the rainbow, for $3.99/pair.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
Found a better site... $1.99/pair:

http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/neowedge.html
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Hawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant futureHawaiian05 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Hawaiian05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Yeah, sorry about that...work got in the way. Here's the link:

http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/r...q=neo+wedge+t4

The type of bulb is the neo-wedge and the size is T4. If you follow the link, they come in pairs, in all the shades of the rainbow, for $3.99/pair.
Cool man thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
No sweat. You can also Google “neo wedge t4 LED".