1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bamahoyt, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    So I got my frame replacement on order and they inspected my truck and everything was approved. There are a couple things that I was worried about though. I have a hole in my bed about 4 inches long where my frame has cause my bed to rust through. The dealership said they wouldn't replace any body panels but it was definitely caused by the rust frame so what can I do to try and get them to replace the bed or at least repair it. Also, my rear bumper and hitch are extremely rusted and was wondering if I just need to call the toyota customer experience line and see if they will replace all those things because it is all directly linked to my rusted frame. Any thoughts on getting these things taken care of would be awesome thanks!

2. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    You will have to open your wallet and pay for it, cuz Toyota will NEVER pick up the tab.

Be happy you are getting the frame replacement. No other vehicle manufacturer in the world has ever offered to do anything like it.

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    DonNH

DonNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    90 xcab>01dcsb>14dclb sport
    Not sure about the bed, but you've done well if that's the original bumper. 5-7 years on Toyota bumpers has been the general rule for me. Had the frame replaced on my '01 DC back in '08. Needed muffler, rear bumper, shocks and struts. Since they were in there anyway, and it's much easier to put on a new part, they only charged for parts, not labor.
    For $1300 I drove away with a half new truck.
    Bumper was a couple hundred if I remember correctly.

I always run with a cap, so my bed was in good shape.

You might find a body shop which would pick up the bed and patch it, then return it to the dealer for them to remount.

4. Feb 24, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    DonNH, sounds like you live waaaaayy up north for metal to be eaten up that fast. Judging by your name, New Hampshire perhaps?
    My 2000 Tacoma got the frame spray treatment. I went through it with a hammer and was very pleased. The rear bumper (original) is starting to look dingy. And I would be very apprehensive to use my trailer hitch to tow anything... But a rear bumper lasting 5-7? Yeah, at the bottom of the ocean maybe.

5. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Probably b/c no other vehicle manufacturer has had the number of frame failures as Toyota. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top