Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you buy this Tacoma? (Off road mods)

Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
ElTacoma is on a distinguished road

ElTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
That is a sweet truck. 106k is insanely low. I have a 99 standard cab 4x4 and I love it. Awesome truck. It looks like it has aftermarket coils and NOT spacers... Good stuff!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
honeybadger
red boy is on a distinguished road
Name: ANDY
red boy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a great deal to me.... If you end up getting it, I'd be happy to trade over the prerunner running gear from my '04.... I had the opposite situation - wanted 4WD but went with a prerunner because it had everything else I wanted.... Just an option for you
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 AM   #23
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I was gonna say OP! I'll be happy trade prerunner parts for 4x4 parts haha. Then you'll get great mpg. 6700 is a steal for that truck
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
ASE Certified Master
CleanSC is on a distinguished road

Name: Jose
CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, fellas... I've seen a lot of forums in my day and you guys are friendly and full of good advice. Great to see.

(Don't ever go to a late model VW forum)

Anyway, excellent thoughts. I am in talks with the seller to see what can be done price wise. I have also asked for more pics of the front frame area to see if there is hidden body/frame damage. I will post those here.

Oh, and as for the wheeling scene in SFL, we have the Everglades. ;p We surely have our share of hunters, mudders, and wheelers. May not be climbing rocks at Moab but we can get very dirty. Many cabins out in the middle of nowhere that need 4x4 to access. No roads, just mud trucks and airboats. Also lots of countryside outside of the city with rodeos, agriculture, the works.

I need to stay away from all this however. hahaha I have an addictive personality and that could get very dangerous.

Thanks again, all! Will update later on today.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #25
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Updated pics after they washed it up.

If you catch any red flags, speak up.

Thanks, all!
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco12.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco13.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco14.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco15.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco16.jpg  

Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco17.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco18.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco19.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco20.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco21.jpg  

Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco22.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco23.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco24.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco25.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco26.jpg  

Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco27.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco28.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco29.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco30.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco31.jpg  

Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco32.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco33.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #26
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Just some casual observations:

Lots of rust coloring in the interior. Possibly water damage? I assume the car-fax would show that if it did.

The front is a bit higher than the rear, even with that bumper and winch. With those 2 items gone, it will be even higher. You'll definitely want to remove the lift in front (fairly easy job, with an Autozone-free-rental spring compressor), but you'll need to score stock springs for it. Not enough detail in the photos, but I assume the lift is just the spring, and not something weird.

Hate that shell
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Single cab plus its manual trans (which I like). Those two factors can add up to a bargain deal for someone looking for those.

There's a reason you don't find that many manuals (or all that many single cabs for that matter) these days. Most new truck buyers aren't demanding those anymore.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #28
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got stock trd stuff free in wa i coukd ship but rather not $$
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #29
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, all.

Yes the shell is going, likely the bumper as well unless I like it in person. So that means the lift as well, which I'm sure I can trade with someone.

As for the stains I was hoping that was coffee. Wishful thinking, hah! Carfax shows no flood damage so that's likely just wheeling water. Yikes if that's the case.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #30
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Some underside shots. Frame looking ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco34.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco35.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco36.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco37.jpg   Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco38.jpg  

Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #31
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
It also has slotted and drilled brakes which is a great plus because these aren't known to brake well as well as being known to warp stock rotors

A bit of surface rust that you would probably want to clean up

Otherwise looks like if you sold parts you could end up with a 1000 bucks worth of parts for sale.. Maybe
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #32
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
This is way off topic, sorry. But I am amazed when I see the apparent market differences all over the country. Been along time so I may be out of touch with the market nowadays, but seems like in this area you are lucky to get $60 max for any kind of accessory well used pulled off a vehicle, that is unless they are still almost brand new.

I see guys in CA asking several hundred for well used seat covers, for example. Dang, I'm not even sure if Goodwill around here would use those if you dropped them off.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Personally in S FL I wouldnt think you'd ever need 4x4 ever lol

Aside from the crash part sounds like a pretty ok deal
I am assuming you have never been to south Florida? Lol. There are a LOT of great wheeling places there including sand dunes, as well as some BIG mud holes and the like. Lots of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSC View Post
Some underside shots. Frame looking ok?
From all of the pictures I only see typical surface rust, not uncommon for being in the salt air. The only "flag" I see is shown from the interior pictures. Looking at the shifter I can tell that there is most likely a 2 inch body lift, which is not very desirable of a lift to have. However since you don't plan to wheel with it, that shouldn't be a concern.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #34
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... Is that a lift block in this pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco11x.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #35
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Someone needs to pick it up.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #36
Kyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant future

Kyle Butler's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a body lift. My old 98 had one put on by the PO and it had the same gaps under the rubber flaps in the front wheel wells and my aftermarket hitch also sat a few inches under the bumper.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #37
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Butler View Post
Looks like a body lift. My old 98 had one put on by the PO and it had the same gaps under the rubber flaps in the front wheel wells and my aftermarket hitch also sat a few inches under the bumper.
Oh, yah... def body lift. I see the gaps now. And the bumper is low, yes.

Paint is also confirmed to be pure chalk. I think I'm going to take a pass on this one. Too many things to reverse/fix and I don't even need a 4x4. Plus the salesman isn't moving on price at all.

Brian, you still want that number?
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy this Tacoma?  (Off road mods)-taco8x.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
You are welcome! lmfao. Just kidding. I knew something was off as soon as I saw the shifter.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #39
ASE Certified Master

CleanSC's Tacoma Gallery
Yea man. That's why I'm here, baybeh. To get pro eyes on this. I'm new to truck mods as I've been more of a car guy but I learn quick.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #40
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSC View Post
Oh, yah... def body lift. I see the gaps now. And the bumper is low, yes.

Paint is also confirmed to be pure chalk. I think I'm going to take a pass on this one. Too many things to reverse/fix and I don't even need a 4x4. Plus the salesman isn't moving on price at all.

Brian, you still want that number?
Is the chalk a sign of accident damage?

I say keep on negotiating, keeping in mind you have $500-600 in parts to sell.
Just take the body lift off when you get it.