1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil interval on 3.4l

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hektor, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Haha yeah I'm definitely one of the few on here that use it. I think 5k interval is safe as long as it's good quality oil. I use "High Mileage" dino cause i'm over 200k

2. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    Hektor

Hektor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC v6

I use whatever they put on the dealer I was told it's Mobil 1

3. Feb 26, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    Toyota4x46921

Toyota4x46921 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    254,000 out of my 89 yota with Castro dino before it slung a rod bearing...changed @ 3000

4. Feb 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    If you're consistent with your selection of oil and filter I would suggest sending a sample off to Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) and include a TBN test. For around $30 you can get a very detailed evaluation of your engine & oil condition after your normal change interval, and if you request it they'll let you know if a longer interval is okay. I don't believe they'll give you a number though, you have to specifically ask about a mileage for the next change and they'll give you a 'yes' or 'no'.

I've done this a few times with my truck both to monitor the engine condition as well as increase my change interval. I use Mobil 1 Pure Synthetic 5W30 & Mobil 1 filters and I'm now on a change interval of 12,000 miles.

5. Feb 27, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    12,000:eek: That seems like wayyyyyy to many!

6. Feb 27, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    3500-5000. mobil 1 Synthetic

7. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I hear ya, it sounds crazy! The thing is though, I'm not going off of the look of the oil, or what I've heard from others. My whole point in the oil analysis bit was to try and SAFELY increase my oil change interval and I've done it. I use higher-dollar oil & filters, but in any give period it doesn't cost my much more (if any) than a cheap dino change. Why pour money just so I can say I'm safe? Why discard perfectly good synthetic oil with only 5k-8k miles on it? I have analytical data showing a plethora of metals/materials as well as oil viscosity & additive info from my last two 10,000 mile changes. The tests were run by a legitimate lab and they said both the engine & oil look great and that I should not be concerned with upping it to 12,000 miles.

I know there will be doubters as well as folks who would never do it regardless of data, but I'm over 176,000 miles on the truck (one owner, shortest oil change after the very first one was 7,500 miles) and the engine performs great and the oil analysis is great. Not much to argue with. I'm telling you, it's more than worth it!

It's not just nice to only change the oil once a year, but I also get comfort in knowing that I'm monitoring the engine from the inside and can get a heads up of a potential problem before it becomes a catastrophic failure.

What's nice is they always leave comments, it's not just a report with a bunch of numbers. Here is the verbiage included with the report when I sent a 10k mile sample and asked if I could go 12k:

"We were going to complain a little about the extra silicon here, but then we saw how fantastic your engine's wear numbers are, so we really don't think anything here looks like a problem. The silicon is probably from a harmless source like some sort of additive or sealer or something. You could check your air filter just in case it's dirt, but it seems harmless enough. Metals look great, so your engine is in excellent condition and we think you'd be fine with 12,000 miles next time. The TBN is 2.6, high enough for a longer run. Great report and solid engine!"

8. Feb 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    tacotundra

tacotundra Well-Known Member

Member:

Synthetic oil doesnt break down like Dino oil does... In a full Synthetic set up you only change the oil when it DIRTY.

In jet engines where synthetic is used they dont change the oil only top it off and dont change it will its due for a rebuilt.. FYI turbine engine puts alot more pressure and under more temp changes then your truck will ever seen in oil.

9. Feb 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Through the course of a jet engines life it burns oil. Some times 4 qrts a day. The filter has a time change, I forget the interval. All we do is top off.

10. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    That's true you are sending it in to get check but I personally have never looked into this so it seems high haha for me I do use fully synthetic oil but I change at 4000ish miles/ once a year (don't drive that much) for me I get oil cheap with discount and such. I probably won't ever send mine in and will never probably go to that many miles between changes But I don't mind changing the oil anyways hahah but I like to learn as I go even if I don't take the results into practice. (Not trying to argue just never heard of someone going that high)
    I understand how the airplane oil is but i also knoe they burn my oil than my truck does resulting in new oil being added. I'm not arguing the miles of a change I do 4000 or once a year I was just pointing out that seems like way to many. Who am I to know what's the right amount but I'll just stick to my ways even though it might be to many to me the money is worth it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  11. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    I do every 5k with fully synthetic

12. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Holy Schmidt dude you must be out of your mind. Once a year?, Toyota says every 6 months. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top