LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil interval on 3.4l

Old 02-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Oil interval on 3.4l

Hey guys just change my oil at the dealer. They used Dino oil. On the sticker it says next oil change 7/25 or 5000 miles. Is this the recommend interval for Dino oil??? I was under the impression it was every 3k.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
3-5k. Don't go past that.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there ever was a 3K oil interval. Maybe 6K normal and 3K severe duty.

My 70 Challenger owners manual calls for 4K.

Look here for your vehicle.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...110000e%2ehtml
Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I run Pennzoil synthetic in my 3.4 I change it about every 5000 miles and I run Toyota oil filters. No issues so far.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
2003 maintenance booklet:
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

7500 mi / 6 mo. light duty
5000 mi / 4 mo. severe duty:
  • Driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
  • Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier.
  • Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.

In 2004 Toyota made it more straightforward 5000 mi / 6 mo:
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
2003 maintenance booklet:

7500 mi / 6 mo. light duty
5000 mi / 4 mo. severe duty:
  • Driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
  • Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier.
  • Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.

In 2004 Toyota made it more straightforward 5000 mi / 6 mo:

So I guess they are right then. Recommending 5k even on Dino.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
So I guess they are right then. Recommending 5k even on Dino.
Or 7500 if not severe duty.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Nonononononono. No one should ever go 7500 on conventional.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Nonononononono. No one should ever go 7500 on conventional.
Toyota didn't agree with you in 2003.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
My $0.02... The fanciest of fancy oils doesn't hold a candle to a boring old conventional oil changed more often. Personally I go 3 to 5k with mine.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
iamgone is on a distinguished road
Name: John
iamgone's Tacoma Gallery
I change conventional oil every 3K. I remember back in the 70s when my Dad would change his every 2K......
Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
I like bright things.
thunderone is on a distinguished road

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
What everyone else said. But why not do it yourself? Takes me 20 minutes tops.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #14

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Toyota didn't agree with you in 2003.
It's pretty much a general consensus in the automotive world that in the late 90s, early 2000s that all automakers tried to give intervals that were way too high and had to subsequently lower them after fucking up tons of engines.

Check any auto maker's intervals in those years, you'll see them drop back down to 5k
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #15

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderone View Post
What everyone else said. But why not do it yourself? Takes me 20 minutes tops.

I guess I'm too lazy lol. Dealer makes a good job anyways and only charges me 24.99 not bad.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I use dino and change every 4-5k. It doesnt even look too bad when it comes out
Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
stinkyspice's Tacoma Gallery
i just did mine Pennzoil platinum synthetic at 6000. it honestly looked alot dirtier that i thought it was going to. im just gonna go back to doing it around 3k to 4k. doesn't hurt to change it sooner than later.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
I change my taco & 4runner every 3k or 3 months like clockwork with 5w30 synthetic blend. I do it myself and it only cost me $7 since i work in a auto repair facility and i get a discount on the oil & filter. My chevelles i do about every 3-4 months with convential oil because i don't put many miles on them, it would be once a year oil changes if i did it every 3k miles lol.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
My $0.02... The fanciest of fancy oils doesn't hold a candle to a boring old conventional oil changed more often. Personally I go 3 to 5k with mine.
Depends on the engine. It's true for Toyota truck engines which don't stress the oil much (just 190 hp from 3.4L after all...). Turbo engines heat up the oil more, so synthetics can be better than dino even at low milage. Turbodiesel engines stress oil by both heat and contaminant blowby, and can degrade some synthetics faster than others (e.g. Mobil 1 is worse than Shell Rotella-T in diesels).

Interestingly, dino oil advanced by only one grade over the last decade. The 2003 Tacoma manual demanded API SL. Today's best dino oils are typically API SM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #20

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
I use dino and change every 4-5k. It doesnt even look too bad when it comes out

This is what I was looking for someone with dino