1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for LCA Bushing advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JJ04TACO, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Ok so I've only found a few threads that go into detail on their experience in replacing the LCA bushings, and they seem pretty bad. I'm getting ready to replace UCA's and LBJ's. While I'm in there I would like to just do the LCA bushings to save time since everything will be blown up. I've seen the thread where someone had to hacksaw and drill out, burn and nuke his bushings out and I bookmarked the thread for reference....I'm looking for others experience in doing this job.

So my questions here are these:

How much of a PITA is it really to get these things out and replaced? I will have help when i do this, but I don't think I'll have time to spend 10 hours fighting old bushings.

What snags and jams are most common?

What tools will be most helpful in a jam?

In that jam, if I cut or destroy anything, what will it most likely be and how much is it so I can be prepared with a replacement? (Bolts, washers, spacers, sleeves etc.) Mostly here I'm talking about Toyota parts like alignment bolts and all that. I will order them if needed to have them ready in a pinch.

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful tips and advice!!! Hopefully this can turn into a nice thread full of tips for others. I've been digging for days gathering info bit by bit. Maybe we can cram it all in here.

2. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    This is usually the "all I've got is a hammer, torch, and a couple beers" method of replacing bushings. Bushings should almost always be pressed in by a hydraulic press. Take your structure (control arm) and pushing to a machine shop and watch them press that lil' bitch out and the new one in in about 5 minutes.
    Bushings are hard to get in and out for a reason. You don't want bushings shifting around while you're driving and putting incredible forces, pressures, and loads on them.

Not saying it can't be done at home with primitive hand tools, as I've done it, but I've quickly realized it's the hard-headed way to save $20. To be fair though...there aren't machine shops within 20 miles of where I live, so it was more of a necessity than just being stubborn and cheap.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    A very valid point and probably worth doing. All about cost effectiveness, I like it. If I make 20/hr and it takes me 3 hrs, or a shop 30 minutes for 20 bucks...

How about that LCA bolt? Not bad to remove? Should I replace it?

Update: I've found a local shop that may do it. Good thing is, they specialize in Toyota and Honda.
    I'm all for doing it myself but I'm old enough to know when to say when.

But still if anyone would like to share a tale...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    can't help you specifically with Tacomas. Never even looked at one on a Taco. On most other cars, a lower control arm bolt can make a 2 hour job into an 8 hour job if done wrong. I know on older Hondas and Acuras, the rear lower control arm bolt is pretty much a guaranteed bet that it will shear off and leave you in your driveway cursing God.

Just be careful with the torks and use lots of PB blaster.

Actually...come to think of it...When my truck was on a lift for inspection, I think the inspector was talking about my rotors and I asked about how to do the camber alignment and he pointed to the lower control arms and I shivered and thought "nope nope nope, not touching those"

5. Mar 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    That's what I'm looking for. But I'd still like to know more about what others encountered when doing the LCA on a Taco. Are sheared bolts an issue for us? Should I have a replacement ready? Thanks guys.

6. Mar 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    mine are shot. they are rusted to the LCA - There is no way they were being "pressed" out.
    They were cut out and i'm in the process of gusseting them before I do the rebuild.
    XXXX has an excellent thread on this process.

7. Mar 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM
    ToyoTaco02

ToyoTaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    OME 881 1/4" top plate spacer OME Dakars OME Nitrochargers Light Racing UCA
    Another option, if you can afford it, just buy new lower control arms. Then you have new bushings already installed! If your bolts and alignment cams are seized you might need new ones.

8. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Pretty common for our trucks to have frozen lca bolts lol. Getting new ones might not be a bad idea, and load them up with antisieze on install

9. Mar 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Damn, that seems to be the consensus.

Well I just now ordered some Camburg UCA's, bushings for the steering rack, and have new OEM LBJ's in the garage waiting to go in. Thats more than enough for one day. I'll look at the LCA bushings and evaluate the situation, and come back later.

10. Apr 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    02TACOMA4WD

02TACOMA4WD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Any updates?

11. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Yeah, I had a local NTB do the replacement. They got it done and I'm glad I didn't do it. Everything disassembled ok, I just know how long it would have taken me. Lee moving the bushings was god aweful but they did it.

Still hated paying the $$. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top