1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking steering wheel

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AKADriver, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    AKADriver

AKADriver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    03 base 2WD
    I brought home my truck over the weekend and noticed one problem: when making rapid lock-to-lock turns (like when parking), the steering wheel squeaks. It's not coming from the suspension or steering gear (can't hear it outside), the sound is in the column itself.

It's a non-tilt column so there shouldn't be any joints inside the cab to worry about. But I'm sure there's a support bearing or two and the clockspring.

It only has 41,000 miles, but that does mean it spent a long time sitting in one position.

2. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    When a person makes rapid lock to lock turns, they usually push down pretty hard on the steer wheel. That little flex in the wheel is exposing the squeaker,,whatever that might be.

Pull up a exploded view of your steer wheel/column setup and take a look. Old school lessons would tell you that your horn button contacts have dried out.

3. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    Exhaust

Exhaust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Extended breather, Grey Wire mod, Tundra brakes, Rockford-Fosgate sound, General Spring HDs, 5100s + 880s, Heated Seats, TRD Supercharger, 2.1 Pulley, URD 7th Kit
    On my old Tundra I had to have the steering column tightened/adjusted. After it was put back together it squeaked and but and rubbed on the plastic. Have you had any adjustments like that recently?

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    AKADriver

AKADriver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    03 base 2WD
    Toyota replaced the frame for rust issues, presumably they had to pull the column for that. Good call.

I just checked the FSM and there is a greaseable bushing inside the column. The manual calls for lithium moly grease, which I have on hand, so I'll see if I can get some in there without disassembling the column first.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    it just needs to be greased. all toyotas, not just the tacos, have this problem. my 08 leased camry did this crap and dealer tried to charge me for it so i gave them the finger and just lived with it. it was a lease anyways and i returned it last year. it wont hurt anything leaving it like that but if its a peeve then grease it!

Products Discussed in

To Top