Originally Posted by blake9220
That's awesome! I don't suppose you have a parts list that you used as a reference? I really want to do this to my truck, but I need to know that I can start friday afternoon and be done sunday afternoon. If searched a few places but haven't come up with a comprehensive list yet. I'd be screwed if I'm missing any parts along the way as this is my only ride.
It is really not all that hard to do. I have a bunch of links I will put at the end of this email so that you can do some reading. But basically a list of things you need are:
1. 4wd transmission and transfer case, along with transfer case shifter. For the 03 and 04 Tacomas, you have to have a transmission from an 03 or 04, because they changed to a drive by wire system those 2 years.
2. 4wd transmission mount
3. Front drive shaft and rear drive shaft (or you can have your stock one shortened for the rear)
4. Front differential ( You want to find one from a manual hub truck (built from 95-00) reason is if you have one from an ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Differential) truck (built 95-2004) you have to do some wiring and hook up vacuum lines, its more work.
5. Front differential gears ( likely have to have it regeared to your stock rear gearing, front and rear gears have to match, or you will end up with binding in the transfer case.
6. Front 4WD Spindles with Manual hubs.
7. Front CV axles.
8. Interior 4wd shifter console.
That is about all you need to do it, besides mounting bolts for the front diff and transmission, nothing on the frame has to be modified, all of the mounting holes are already there.
Here are the links to other people who have done it, as well as some helpful links about doing it:
This one is very helpful:
This is mine:
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!