Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another Prerunner to 4wd conversion complete!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Another Prerunner to 4wd conversion complete!

I finally have 4wd in my prerunner.

I would like to thank Chad (01Tac0ma) and his buddy Kyle for all there help today on this, I never would have gotten it done without all of there help!! Yall rock, thanks again!

So me and Chad and Kyle started this morning at 10 am and worked all day and finally finished at 11 pm tonight!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
ckoontz is on a distinguished road
Name: Topher
ckoontz's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive you did it in one day. Congrats.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
ramirezsergio63 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sergio
ramirezsergio63's Tacoma Gallery
pics or it didn't happen
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoontz View Post
Impressive you did it in one day. Congrats.
Thanks, we were surprised too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezsergio63 View Post
pics or it didn't happen
Here are pics of us testing it out, it worked great, even broke my first CV axle

Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Tree stumps are great.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet

Ease off the skinny pedal will fix that cv problem
Old 03-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Sweet

Ease off the skinny pedal will fix that cv problem
Yeah I was trying to do a Hill Climb and just kept trying and finally got on it real hard and it just popped. Lucky I got Manual Hubs though! Plus it was just an Autozone axle! POS
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
DSMJRV is on a distinguished road

Name: justin
DSMJRV's Tacoma Gallery
wow nice work.. does most of it just bolt in place or was there alot of hacking fabbing?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Been wanting to do this on my '13!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMJRV View Post
wow nice work.. does most of it just bolt in place or was there alot of hacking fabbing?
It all bolts in place, just have to extend the speed sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
Nice! Been wanting to do this on my '13!
Do ittt!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Card1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1371 Combat Engineer, leave in july (currently highschool senior)
Card1's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder how it would be on a 5 lug.. Looks good though!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
blake9220 is on a distinguished road
Name: Blake
blake9220's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wanting to do this to my 01 for awhile now.. If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
I've been wanting to do this to my 01 for awhile now.. If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost?

I'll have to crunch some numbers but somewhere around $1300
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
I'll have to crunch some numbers but somewhere around $1300
Wow that's fairly cheap. Was it all junkyard/used/donor truck parts or is that even with new parts?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow that's fairly cheap. Was it all junkyard/used/donor truck parts or is that even with new parts?
It was most all junkyard used parts, besides gears, and ball joints and various small nuts and bolts.

Here is a break down of the cost:

So it was actually less than $1300 only around $1100 and will be less when i sell the rest of my extra parts!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome!! And in a day!

Chad makes some awesome products, too. Are you going to get some of his sliders? I may see if he'll do a bumper for me.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
It was most all junkyard used parts, besides gears, and ball joints and various small nuts and bolts.

Here is a break down of the cost:

So it was actually less than $1300 only around $1100 and will be less when i sell the rest of my extra parts!
That's awesome! I don't suppose you have a parts list that you used as a reference? I really want to do this to my truck, but I need to know that I can start friday afternoon and be done sunday afternoon. If searched a few places but haven't come up with a comprehensive list yet. I'd be screwed if I'm missing any parts along the way as this is my only ride.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
That's awesome! I don't suppose you have a parts list that you used as a reference? I really want to do this to my truck, but I need to know that I can start friday afternoon and be done sunday afternoon. If searched a few places but haven't come up with a comprehensive list yet. I'd be screwed if I'm missing any parts along the way as this is my only ride.
It is really not all that hard to do. I have a bunch of links I will put at the end of this email so that you can do some reading. But basically a list of things you need are:

1. 4wd transmission and transfer case, along with transfer case shifter. For the 03 and 04 Tacomas, you have to have a transmission from an 03 or 04, because they changed to a drive by wire system those 2 years.
2. 4wd transmission mount
3. Front drive shaft and rear drive shaft (or you can have your stock one shortened for the rear)
4. Front differential ( You want to find one from a manual hub truck (built from 95-00) reason is if you have one from an ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Differential) truck (built 95-2004) you have to do some wiring and hook up vacuum lines, its more work.
5. Front differential gears ( likely have to have it regeared to your stock rear gearing, front and rear gears have to match, or you will end up with binding in the transfer case.
6. Front 4WD Spindles with Manual hubs.
7. Front CV axles.
8. Interior 4wd shifter console.

That is about all you need to do it, besides mounting bolts for the front diff and transmission, nothing on the frame has to be modified, all of the mounting holes are already there.

Here are the links to other people who have done it, as well as some helpful links about doing it:
This one is very helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-answered.html

This is mine:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-complete.html

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...c+transmission
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...t=transmission
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163028
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...22#post2384122
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...56#post2195956
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165990
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...t=transmission
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...&page=2​

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
I really appreciate it!! Thanks!