1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just finished 4x4 conversion/ manual hubs, lots of questions answered,

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by travis.diller, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mar 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    travis.diller

travis.diller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I have a couple. Some questions that are often asked I can answer now.
    -A340F transmissions will fit as long as you have the correct bell housing VZ for V6 RZ for 4banger
    -2004/04 Tacomas must have a 03/04 transmission put in them due to fly by wire
    -j shift t-case from 3rd gen 4runner or first gen tacos will work. I used a 4runner one. You do not NEED to wire up anything to either t-case except the speed sensor on the 4runner which can be purchased at an auto parts store. You must also extend the speed sensor wire.
    - in my truck (v6 w/ 4.10 gears) the speed sensor gear is size 30-11, purchased from toyota parts dealership, 12 bucks
    -you DO NOT need to remove the steering rack, or exhaust to get the tranny in and out.
    -I removed the spark plugs to assist in turning the engine with a wrench in order to line up the flex plate to the torque converter.
    -fill the torque converter first.
    -press the Torque converter ALL the way into the tranny, it takes some shaking and pushing
    - you can use prerunner spindles with 4x4 hubs pressed into them, you have to remove the dust cover from the back of them (i used channel locks and a hammer)
    -t-case takes 1L of 75-90 gear oil (in socal)
    -front diff takes 2L 75-90 gear oil (in socal)
    -t-case takes 10L+/- of ATF IF FILLED FROM DRY
    only 2+/- if just drained and refilled
    -the harbor freight transmission jack WORKED GREAT! I used an impact wrench to move it up and down with ease
    -make sure you have an extension(s) about 3' long and a swivel
    -lower ball joints are EXTREMELY hard to remove, get ready for a fight
    -tie rod ends are almost as hard, I used a brass punch to prevent thread damage
    -remove shifter via snap ring from the t-case and install after it is in place
    -install the t-case and tranny at the same time, after torquing the t-case to the tranny with a torque wrench
    -use a torque wrench
    -check and recheck that everything is tight, in an orderly fashion

if I missed anything ask away...
    time it took?
    MONTHS of research and parts searching
    4 hours to remove/ install the tranny with 3 people
    45 minutes to install front diff
    3 hours to install spindles (we had some hiccups prob would take 1 hour)
    all in all, if you do your research and have ALL your parts on hot standby, including nuts, bolts, fluids, sealants it is surprisingly easy.

Don't forget your a340f dipstick if you get a new tranny, they have a deeper pan.

In the end, i have a leftover t-case pushbutton type, a prerunner transmission w/ a a340f output shaft sitting next to it.

test your build out on sand or dirt close to your house with all the windows down, listen for funny sounds. get out and look for drips or leaks.

and last of all, plug in your spark plugs after re-installing them, or else you get a 3cyl like I had for a few moments.

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Glad to hear of another 4x4 conversion that was a success! I am going to start collecting parts soon to convert my truck to a manual with manual hubs. Post up some pictures when you get a chance. Enjoy having 4WD!

3. Feb 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    Hey man, I know this is a strech, but you wouldn't happen to still have that leftover output shaft from your 4x4 conversion, would you?

4. Feb 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    ckoontz

ckoontz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner converted
    5sp, 4x4 conversion, manual hubs, 4.56
    Nice. You definitely did it quicker than I. It took me alone 4 days straight. Congrats again.

5. Oct 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    tjstarnes

tjstarnes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner
    K&N intake,throttle body spacer,Gibson headers,Uni-Chip performance chip,Rancho shocks,ARE full height camper shell,after market auto-dimming mirror with outside temp and compass,after market leather steering wheel wrap
    Congratulations on your conversion. I'm beginnining to round up the parts for my '04 Prerunner conversion. Question, what's the difference between a 2x vs 4x transmission. If it's just the output shaft, can't that be replaced with a 4x shaft saving the cost of buying a tranny. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top