LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

more power

Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I posted this on the forums before and it was ignored...but you can take the stock fan and its clutch off, put a thermostatically controlled electric fan in, gain between 5 and 15 horsepower, all for about 200 bucks.

If you're doing that, might as well eliminate the powersteering, and AC pump... But I highly doubt you will gain that much hp.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigotacoma07 View Post
I am guessing that would be a Clemson Tiger Eye.
yea right.... LSU baby... haha Geaux Tigers
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
You're really comparing apples to oranges. As much as you'd like it to, the tacoma is NOT ever going to have the torque and power of a 383. Even with a supercharger boosting 9lbs, its not going to make that much of a pulling or towing difference. Headers, exhaust cai and some sort of tuner, you're only going to see....maybe 15hp... The only way to get significant power gains is forced induction, but dont expect it to be like your chevy...
I understand totally.... The Chevy was made to yank shit all over the place.... from stock I never had a prob pulling stuff... I would just like to know that I have a little more power than I got... trying to see what my options are out there
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #25
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ga_rita View Post
Which magnaflow series did he use?
Sorry he forgot which one he got
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
If you're doing that, might as well eliminate the powersteering, and AC pump... But I highly doubt you will gain that much hp.
incorrect. the water pump must run all the time or you will have overheating problems. you could pull the belt off the power steering pump but i promise you'll want to put it back on after trying to park your truck a few times, and its pump only draws power from the engine when the wheels are turning at a slow enough speed to require steering assistance.

the fan is needed when there is no airflow across the radiator, as in when you are moving slower than about 5MPH, and when the AC is running. The rest of the time it is nothing more than a parasitic drag...and it is proven it eats between 5 and 15 horse, depending on RPM, air density, "clutch" fluid temperature. An electric fan motor usually draws around 15 amps...translates to 180 watts...translates to about 1/4 horsepower more the alternator is going to have to use to make the power to drive the fan. a pretty good trade-off.

The stock fan and its clutch also act like an appx. 10 pound flywheel. Its rotational mass must be increased and decreased with engine RPM. More drag on the system.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ga_rita View Post
I understand totally.... The Chevy was made to yank shit all over the place.... from stock I never had a prob pulling stuff... I would just like to know that I have a little more power than I got... trying to see what my options are out there
Basically you're stuck with bolt ons, and some URD tuning goodies. Until you decide to come to the darkside of forced induction
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
incorrect. the water pump must run all the time or you will have overheating problems. you could pull the belt off the power steering pump but i promise you'll want to put it back on after trying to park your truck a few times, and its pump only draws power from the engine when the wheels are turning at a slow enough speed to require steering assistance.

the fan is needed when there is no airflow across the radiator, as in when you are moving slower than about 5MPH, and when the AC is running. The rest of the time it is nothing more than a parasitic drag...and it is proven it eats between 5 and 15 horse, depending on RPM, air density, "clutch" fluid temperature. An electric fan motor usually draws around 15 amps...translates to 180 watts...translates to about 1/4 horsepower more the alternator is going to have to use to make the power to drive the fan. a pretty good trade-off.

The stock fan and its clutch also act like an appx. 10 pound flywheel. Its rotational mass must be increased and decreased with engine RPM. More drag on the system.
Never said anything about NOT running the waterpump... of course you need to have it functioning. But powersteering and the AC arent necessary, so you could also elminate them, if you're hardcore. I wouldnt, but some people do.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #29
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Never said anything about NOT running the waterpump... of course you need to have it functioning. But powersteering and the AC arent necessary, so you could also elminate them, if you're hardcore. I wouldnt, but some people do.
that's true...if you check out the stockers running the quarter at the strip a lot of them will pull the belts off the AC and power steering pump, or bring belts that let them bypass them and still run the alternator. i've even seen a couple who do pull the alternator belt and just run off the battery, put it all back together for the drive home.

really though the AC if it's off you're just turning a piece of the clutch for the compressor...not that big a drag but worth taking off when tenths of a second count.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
You can't compare the taco engine to a stroker, come on. Their all torque.
Believe me I know... from experience... lol
that has to be the thing I miss the most about the ole gas guzzler..

Products Discussed in this Thread