1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange lighting issues...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CajunTRD, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    CajunTRD

CajunTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Step rails, Flowmaster 40 series, aux lights, black euro head/side/fog lights, altezza tail lights, tool box, deck plate,
    Here goes...

The other day I attempted to install floor lights on my 2003 Tacoma. I ran the wires into the Dome Light housing and simply ran the wires into the plug that attaches to the dome light housing. I then replaced my standard dome light bulb with a LED. The LED flickered a bit and then would not work at all. This apparently set off a series of issues. I reinstalled the standard bulb in the dome light fixture.

Now, for the issues...

1) My headlights no longer turn off with the truck.

2) Dome light only works in the "Dome" position when the truck is unlocked via remote entry (floor lights work fine). The dome light WILL NOT come on if the doors are unlocked manually. Also, if the dome light is just turned to the "On" position, the dome light will come on, but the floor lights will not illuminate.

3) Doors normally re-lock if the keyless entry is used and no doors are opened. However, now the doors will automatically lock even if the doors have been opened thus creating concerns of accidentally locking my keys in the truck.

What I've done so far...

1) Fuse under the hood is fine.
    2) Door switches appear to be okay.
    3) Dome light always turns on in the "On" position.

Any suggestions at this point? Body ECU issues, perhaps? Grounding?

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    CleanSC

CleanSC ASE Certified Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '02 Reg Cab PreRunner 2.7
    Looks like you are having some feedback somewhere and/or fried a circuit.

First thing I would do in this case is reverse everything back to the way you started. Then test.

Still no? Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset all ECU's. Test again.

If all is good at this point, you botched the wiring some how and need to redo. Get the factory wiring diagram and study the system well before continuing.

Hopefully no expensive modules have been harmed. Altho it looks like you're having issues with keyless entry ECU and such. Pray a reboot and removing your wiring will fix.

Let us know what you find!

3. Mar 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    CajunTRD

CajunTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Step rails, Flowmaster 40 series, aux lights, black euro head/side/fog lights, altezza tail lights, tool box, deck plate,
    I disconnected the battery and had no changes in my situation. How can I go about searching for a burnt/fried circuit?

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    CleanSC

CleanSC ASE Certified Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '02 Reg Cab PreRunner 2.7
    Did you remove everything you did and return it back to original wiring?

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    The dome light works off of ground when you open the door a plunger pops out on the door jam, this completes circuit same thing when you turn dome switch on it grounds to complete circuit also. Try disconnecting your keyless entry box it's behind the drivers side kick panel it's wrapped in foam I believe. Maybe you wired your floor lights backwards causing a problem in keyless entry box.

6. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    CajunTRD

CajunTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Yeah, no different from what I can tell.

7. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    CajunTRD

CajunTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    I would assume that they were wired correctly, because they worked. If they would have been reversed then nothing should have worked. Correct?

How should I trouble shoot after disconnecting the Keyless Entry Box? Just see if the Dome Light turns on when the doors are ajar?

8. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    CajunTRD

CajunTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Bizarre... Headlights now turn off when I turn off the truck and remove the key, but the Dome Light won't come on at all on the Door setting. It's as if I traded one function for another!

Products Discussed in

To Top