Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ATF Fluid

Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
ATF Fluid

I have read through the forums quite a bit and I am seeing most people recommend Toyota T-IV fluid for the ATF, but I also see that Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is T-IV rated. Anyone use Mobil1 in their ATF? I think the Mobil1 might be cheaper as Toyota T-IV is $6.99/quart.

Let me know your recommendations.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
probally either or would be good, as long as the mobile one has the friction modifiers needed (and since it says t-IV) it will be fine.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure you need T-IV? When I still had my '99 it didn't need T-IV.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscoot View Post
probally either or would be good, as long as the mobile one has the friction modifiers needed (and since it says t-IV) it will be fine.
Friction modifiers for the transmission?

Never heard of it.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Bing0 is on a distinguished road
Bing0's Tacoma Gallery
ATF Advisory

Mobil 1 is no longer interchangeable with Toyota T-IV ATF Oil.
I do not remember the exact specification differences but Toyota changed the automatic transmission in the Tacoma beginning in 2003.
I am not 100% certain of that but I do know for a fact that in 2004 the transmission in the Tacoma is definitely different and Mobil 1 may not be used.

Moreover, Mobil 1 changed the specifications on its synthetic ATF fluid also.
It does not have the compatibilties listed on it that it once did.

My truck is a 2002 and Mobil 1 is fine for it. If I had an '03 I would know for certain but whatever the case,
your truck is your truck and I strongly suggest that you do your own homework before you put synthetic ATF in an '03 or '04 Tacoma.

I have read that Amsoil is acceptable for these years and some have argued that they even run Mobil 1 in their trucks without any problems.
I remember there being some very good reasons not to take a chance though.

My .02

Bing0
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Can't Have Nothin'
Wood's Double Cab is on a distinguished road

Wood's Double Cab's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't changed mine to mobil 1 yet but i run it in everything else that i own. would definitely check it out thoroughly before doing the swap as compatibility issues may be a problem. amsoil is a premium product as well. they're definitely available for technical questions and would be more than happy to discuss your specific application with you. convenient availability might be an issue and it will definitely cost more than mobil 1 but it IS a good product. two things for sure: heat and friction are NOT your friends and the synthetics WILL reduce operating tempreture and make you transmission run cooler secondary to a reduction in both. an additional transmission cooler will also help reduce operating tempreture even further.
i've got a newbie question , though. is the toyota atf synthetic, a blend, or conventional ?