1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my little lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rab89, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM
    rab89

rab89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    coilovers vs drop down bracket is the dillema, I wish our little trucks could get more than 2.5'' of lift with coils. I feel as though I want more than that, the tuff country 5'' Drop down bracket makes the truck look real nice, But from what I hear, it isn't good for much wheeling. I dont do crazy rock crawling or high speed desert stuff. for me, I do moderate trails, with some hill climbs, mud holes, and small crawling. so I dont need a solid axle or LT, But I like the looks of a 5'' lift, and it would be sweet to have the clearance.
    I know there's lots of info around, but I'm asking for your input, anyone done a drop down bracket and been happy with it?

2. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    by the way, I'd also be getting the wheelers 5 leaf pack, and 5100's all around with ome 881's up front. anyone know of a 3'' or 4'' drop bracket?

3. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    I've had the same problem. I was very close to getting the Tuff Country 5'' lift but changed my mind in the end. I only want to run 33'' tire no matter what lift I have so I chose to go with the Toytec ultimate lift kit. I will be oredering it soon. This lift will give me the clearence to run 33's (with minor work and the right rims) And will be a lot better off road. Your clearence is going to be better with the toytec lift due to the crossmember on the dropdown bracket kits. I'm going to get better flex as well. Another reason is that down the road if I want to put on the tuff country kit, I can use it with my toytec lift...so 5'' + the 3'' coilover setting = nicceee.

If you do choose to go with a drop bracket kit, my research has shown that tuff country and fabtech are the best lift options. Trialmaster has a second strut problem and I have heard a lot of stories of things breaking, and procomp 4'' is not recommended due to the spindle spacer set up.

Hope this helped.

4. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    if you lift 3 inches without a drop down bracket, your cv joints are at some crazy angles and the boots will wear out causing major issues. thats the point of the drop down bracket

5. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    A drop bracket lift kit, or a diff drop? I am getting a diff drop. Your safe with a 3 inch lift with a diff drop.

6. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    the little diff drop spacers? i've heard their crap.
    I'm talking drop bracket

7. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    well for 20 bucks i'd rather play safe with the diff drop bracket with a 3 inch lift. A lot of ppl on here are running 3 inch lifts and report no CV problems thus far.

If you want a drop bracket kit then like I said I'd recommend Tuff country 5'' or Fabtec 6''. IMO those are the best.

Procomp makes a 4'' drop bracket. I have heard these are not so good.

It really depends what you plan on doing with your truck. Drop bracket kits are more for looks IMO. However, I know a lot of ppl around here that wheel with their drop bracket kits and dont have major issues.

Like I said I was in the same boat as you. My choice may not be the right one for you but just thought I'd give you some food for thought.

8. Mar 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I don't think you have the knowledge to properly be answering my questions if this is your response.

Anyone else who has experience?

9. Mar 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Yeah Drop Brackets Suck off road! plus you dont gain any ground clearance in the front!

10. Mar 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    wouldn't they be just as good as a coilover setup at stock height but with more room for tires and height

11. Mar 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Hey I gave you my opinion. I see others share that opinion. If you don't want my help thats fine, but please keep an open mind to other options.

Products Discussed in

To Top