1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what coil rating

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ktaco, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Ok so I'm about to order the toytec ultimate lift for my truck and there's only one more thing i'm unsure of. Should I get the light (500lb) or Med (600lb) coils. I do plan on putting a bumper (mabay ARB) and a winch on but it may not be for another year... So in the meantime if I get the Med coils I don't want my truck to be running so stiff that it dosent absorb anything or cant flex on the trials. I'm going to have to coilovers set to at least 3'' so that's going to make it stiff enough.

What do you guys think, are the Med coils going to be OK in the meantime, or should I go with the Light coils?

Thanks.

2. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well, since you will eventually get the bumper and winch....go on and get the medium coils. either 885 coils will be fine more than likely................and they arent gonna be super stiff on the road. they will be a little stiff....but it wont be that bad. that way.....after you get the bumper/winch later on.....you aint gotta worry about getting a new set of coils and selling the others.

3. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I can't see a 100lb difference in coil rating making a big change.

4. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thats right. and i see you have an 03.....disregard the 885 coil i mentioned. what coil are you going with....881 or 882?

i have the 881 coils on my 04 dc, with a set of bilstein 5100's, and the ride is great...........and not too stiff, but in a way such as it makes the truck feel more planted to the road.

5. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yeh I think i will go with the med coils. Not sure if there 881's or 882's, toytec website just refers to them as "light" and "Medium".

Thanks man.

6. Mar 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    no prob man. i got my 881's from wheelers offroad, and they referred to them as medium, but i have seen on toytec's site that they call the 881's light...so i reckon im between!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top