Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2001 Tacoma Frame Rust

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
SpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant future
Name: Kyler
SpecialTwinky's Tacoma Gallery
2001 Tacoma Frame Rust

I have a 2001 Tacoma Doublecab Trd. I bought it about a year and a half ago. I have never really noticed the frame rust until now. The Fran is still solid and can't be punched through anywhere where I lift it from. I have hit it with wrenches to see if I can break through but nothing��. I am worried about it rusting through but I don't have the right tools to get everywhere I need to get to get the rust off with an angle grinder. Can I just spray over the rust and call it good without any further damage or should I take it somewhere to have it cleaned off and sprayed? Any help would be awesome thanks!

Also the previous bought it from a guy in California and brought it to Utah. It was never sprayed from a dealership so I don't think that I could get a new frame from them. I read about that in other forums.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
blake9220 is on a distinguished road
Name: Blake
blake9220's Tacoma Gallery
Just spraying over the rust won't stop it, it'll continue to spread and end up bubbling underneath the paint. It needs to be cleaned off/sanded down before you paint.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
Try this stuff: Ospho
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
The problem with frame rust on a Tacoma is that it begins on the inside of the frame where you can't see it.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
SpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant futureSpecialTwinky has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkilroy View Post
Try this stuff: Ospho
So with this stuff, do I use the angle grinder and take off as much rust as I can get to and then put this over the entire frame? And what about the places of the truck that I can't get to easily?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawcoTime View Post
The problem with frame rust on a Tacoma is that it begins on the inside of the frame where you can't see it.
So what can I do about it?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialTwinky View Post
So with this stuff, do I use the angle grinder and take off as much rust as I can get to and then put this over the entire frame? And what about the places of the truck that I can't get to easily?
Actually, you don't want to remove all the rust with Ospho, it actually uses the surface rust to create a barrier so removing the scale is all you want to do unless you are going to paint after treating the metal with the Ospho
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't toyota cover for 15 yrs?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
Doesn't toyota cover for 15 yrs?
I dont know but the previous owner never got it sprayed at a dealership so I don't think that it is covered, is it?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkilroy View Post
Actually, you don't want to remove all the rust with Ospho, it actually uses the surface rust to create a barrier so removing the scale is all you want to do unless you are going to paint after treating the metal with the Ospho
So I don't need to get the rust off with the grinder, I can just take off the the old paint that's flaking off then use the Ospho and paint over it all right?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Might be now. If toyota does it, they have to warranty. My 96 had done with great results. Just call and give vin. They will know if it's been done. It's free!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
So I don't need to get the rust off with the grinder, I can just take off the the old paint that's flaking off then use the Ospho and paint over it all right?
Correct.... Kinda.

You would want to give it a couple days to react completely. Can rinse with water then paint or if you wait long enough, just paint. It turns the surface rust black. (iron phosphate).
Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Sweet!!! So.....what about the inside of the frame?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
I would say try and see if they would replace the frame.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
I would say try and see if they would replace the frame.
Think he's not going toyota route.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
So even if the frame was never sprayed, there is still a chance that I could get a new frame???
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #17
PATACO13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
PATACO13's Tacoma Gallery
This stuff for inside of frame, worked great for me. Two cans will do it...http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html
Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
So even if the frame was never sprayed, there is still a chance that I could get a new frame???
Yes I think there is! It is worth a try!! That Warranty is for 15 years, you should at least let the Toyota Dealership look at it!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I think there is! It is worth a try!! That Warranty is for 15 years, you should at least let the Toyota Dealership look at it!
I 2nd that.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Quote:
Should I call them and ask about the warranty or should I ask them to take a look at the frame? (Sorry, I don't know how to go about doing this)

Products Discussed in this Thread