1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hitch / Towing Install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wherespete, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mar 24, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    wherespete

wherespete [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Hey guys, new to the forum, I am looking for a little advice. I have a 2003 Double cab Prerunner TRD, two wheel drive, 6 cylinder, automatic. Great truck, but I have a question. I have to move a daughter from law school and am considering installing an after market tow package (hitch, etc.) so I can tow the trailer. Has anyone done this to their trucks? Is it a pretty simple installation? Should I go for the transmission cooler too? Is that tough to install?

One more thing, does anyone's truck "squeek" when driving. I notice it when driving on rough city streets with my window down. I haven't greased this thing since I bought it, thought the oil change guys would. I am assuming that's all it would take to fix this. Thanks.

2. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    wherespete

wherespete [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Thanks for the link and the info. Does a good cleaning (power wash at the car wash) on the leaf springs eliminate that potential source of squeek, or is it more than that.

3. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    ^

It really is easy if you can work a wrench and have a spare hand for the hitch. check out the info he listed for the towing. If you plan to tow often a trans cooler is in your future but if it's only an rare occasion you can get away without one, just don't smash the pedal expecting results. Wiring harness is too easy with vehicle specific ones, they just clip in.

for reference I towed 2 motorcycles w/ trailer to Florida and back in October (~2k lbs) and did not have a trans cooler. I cruised at 65-70 mph and was fine, took my time going up hills and let it coast going down as much as I could.

Have fun moving :)

4. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    Could be something stuck or even the bushing for the leaf if you determined that's where the noise is coming from.

Also I would buy a grease gun and good recommended grease and hit all the zerks under the truck, should be about 6-7 for your 2wd. check out the maintenance posts in the 1st gen forum.

5. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    My leafs sound like an opera when they flex. The bushings will dry out. It doesn't hurt anything really. Just annoying. And the only way you can really get rid of it is to pull all the mounting bolts out and grease them up

Products Discussed in

To Top