Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cb radio/antenna mounting place

Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
tacomaholic is on a distinguished road
tacomaholic's Tacoma Gallery
cb radio/antenna mounting place

i just got a radioshack cb and 39 in metal megnetic mount antenna. wear have some of yall mounted the magnetic antenna and how. also how do i tune the antenna?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaholic View Post
i just got a radioshack cb and 39 in metal megnetic mount antenna. wear have some of yall mounted the magnetic antenna and how. also how do i tune the antenna?
post pics of the cb setup if you dont mind. alot of folks have mounted the cb's in the ash tray location. thats where im monting mine at. no sure of the magnetic antenna mount, although the roof near the 3rd brake light would probably be a good spot. as far as tuning.......either buy or find someone with a smr meter........they are used for tuning. you can get an inline one too........keep it there or remove it.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
post pics of the cb setup if you dont mind. alot of folks have mounted the cb's in the ash tray location. thats where im monting mine at. no sure of the magnetic antenna mount, although the roof near the 3rd brake light would probably be a good spot. as far as tuning.......either buy or find someone with a smr meter........they are used for tuning. you can get an inline one too........keep it there or remove it.

SWR meter, not smr. Look at firestik's website, and it has everything there you could want to know.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's not a magnetic, but in the event you decide to change your mind...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Lichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lichen's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the Uniden with the ash-tray mod. My antenna wire goes through the back sliding window and the magnetic mount on the roof near the third brake light.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
tacomaholic is on a distinguished road
tacomaholic's Tacoma Gallery
mine will go threw the back slidey window but the window wont shut all the way.is there a trick.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
SWR meter, not smr. Look at firestik's website, and it has everything there you could want to know.
yeah....thats what i meant! long day!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
you can also run the coax to the antenna thru one of the rubber cab grommets on the backside between the cab and the bed...just poke a hole thru the rubber and shove the wire thru...replace grommet...still water tight

tuning an antenna depends on the antenna...some of them may have to be trimmed (not much) and some can be tuned with a set screw or something of the sort on the top
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
sslongmuir is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Enginering
sslongmuir's Tacoma Gallery
For the best SWR you want it in the middle of your roof. it will give you the best ground plane thus better transmitting. I have fiddled with a bumper mount when i have my cap on and can acheive a reading of 1.5 to 1 which is pretty good. Right now it on my headache rack with a 2ft firestikII and i cn get about 1.8 to 1. Go to a truckstop and buy a meter for 20$. its well worth it and they come with directions.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
WARTHOG
MCRANEY will become famous soon enoughMCRANEY will become famous soon enough
Air Force: A-10 Crew Chief
MCRANEY's Tacoma Gallery
i have my cb mounted where my ashtray use to be. my antenna is mounted in the center aft side of my toolbox. works out great for me

Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
My Cobra 19 DX IV is mounted in the ashtray location as well.

Here's some pics detailing what I did...

In the 2nd picture...
the plastic material inside the blue lines
will need be cut away (removed)

It will be a somewhat permanent deal once done.

I used plastic zip ties in these pics...
but have since replaced them with velcro (type) zip ties.

I also used a heat gun an put an indentation
in the heater duct.
Along with doing that... I used a 90* coupler
at the backside of the cb.

My antenna cable is routed along the floor (under the carpet/seats)
and exits out the back of the cab
at the lower rear passenger side grommet.

Maintain the total cable length utilizing 3' increments.
Think I used a 15' cable...
but had to run it around the cab some to lose the extra length.
Don't let the cable coil over on itself.

My Lil' Wil' antenna is mag mounted on the roof.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Trapperr is on a distinguished road
Trapperr's Tacoma Gallery
Not to get off topic but why do you guys run cb's in your tacomas? I have a marine band radio in mine but we use that when hunting in the mountains.

Do you have to know someone with a cb as well? Or do you guys just talk to truckers out there?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
Señor Member
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperr View Post
Not to get off topic but why do you guys run cb's in your tacomas? I have a marine band radio in mine but we use that when hunting in the mountains.

Do you have to know someone with a cb as well? Or do you guys just talk to truckers out there?
Using them on the trails seems to be the main reason why guys are running CB's. Makes communication with your wheeling group much more efficient.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Trapperr is on a distinguished road
Trapperr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipps View Post
Using them on the trails seems to be the main reason why guys are running CB's. Makes communication with your wheeling group much more efficient.

Ahhhh, makes perfect sense. Kinda the same reason I run my radio. Thank you.