1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Matching Paint for Center Caps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Wood's Double Cab, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mar 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    Wood's Double Cab

Wood's Double Cab [OP] Can't Have Nothin'

Member:
    Pamplico, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma DC PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Alarm, Nerf Bars, Vent Visors, Bug Deflector
    hey now,
    have a couple of places on my center caps where the paint is peeling / has peeled off. was wondering if y'all knew of an exact match for the silver / argent paint color. the toyota dealer says toyota doesn't have matching paint for that application. it was close to 5:00 when i called, though. maybe was too much to ask that close to quitting time for them to pursue. don't know. not sure of the exact and proper name of the rims that are on my truck. they appear to be stock as i've noticed the same style rim on other similar tacomas. my profile pic shows the style. any help would be greatly appreciated as i find the peeled areas to be most unsightly and hope to repaint them as soon as possible.

2. Mar 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    hardtaco

hardtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    I think a silver paint designed for plastic parts will work for you.

3. Mar 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    If you're talking about the Toyota silver they call "Lunar Mist" as is on my '01 DoubleCab, I had the same problem finding paint. When I bought my truck it was missing one of the headlight filler pieces that goes below your light. I bought one from Ebay that came black and had trouble finding paint for it. I went to a couple parts stores and found one that mixed paint to match. I found my can that I used in a cabinet (this was from '05) and here's what the label says:

It's Seymour brand aerosal paint. The can is generic and they stick a label to it with what's mixed inside.

F8569IE (think that's part# but not sure, it doesn't say)
    Car: TOYOTA
    Code: 1C8
    Color: SILVER - Effect
    Mixed By: O'Reilly Automotive #31

I sprayed the piece with about 3-4 light coats to get good coverage and no runs and then sprayed an aerosol clear coat on top. You cannot tell the difference from the factory paint. Sometimes I forget which side I painted. I probably wounldn't try spraying a hood or fender, but for these smaller parts and accessories this works great. Been on for 4 years now with no chips or peeling. I think I paid about $10 to have the paint mixed into and aerosol can. Hope this helps.

p.s. Dupli-Color might make one to match now, but I couldn't find one then

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Mar 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    Wood's Double Cab

Wood's Double Cab [OP] Can't Have Nothin'

Member:
    Pamplico, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma DC PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Alarm, Nerf Bars, Vent Visors, Bug Deflector
    thanks, guys. appreciate the help. we have o'reilly's in the area so i'll check them out a.s.a.p. .

Products Discussed in

To Top