1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C pressure issues and possible leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CC123, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    CC123

CC123 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I had a leak in my a/c system caused by a large hole in the high pressure line. I replace the line, drier and o-rings. I also checked the oil in the compressor assuming it might be low. Turned out that it was just about empty. I believe I had read it called for about 4oz in the compressor. When I added the oil it filled up before I put in what I believed it required and cycled it so filled it. I put a little oil in the condenser, drier and buttoned everything up. I then vacuumed the system and was suspecting a possible leak but was not sure. I finally decided to try and charge the system and added dye in case there was a leak. I do not believe I have enough freon in the system but the pressures are high. The low goes up and down at first then settles around 40psi and just gradually rises. The high side just continuously rises until I usually shut it off around 300ish. At no point dose the compressor cycle so I am not sure if it is due to lack of freon, possibly to much oil in the system or maybe even a block in the system. Also when I shut down everything it doesn't seem to be equalizing anymore (It did when there was less freon in the system. I am now becoming much more suspicious of a small leak in the system so tomorrow I plan to do a solid look for it and if need be check the evaporator. If I pull the evaporator to check for leaks I will likely do a solid flush and replace all rings. I am getting pretty confused so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top