1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail gear front bumper woes...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by johnboyTRD, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    So I installed my bumper today, and it didn't go well at all... Fitment was awful.

For one, I had to bash the shiznit out of the sides where the new crossmember wraps around to get it close enough to tap into place...

It was also ver difficult to line up all of the holes to mount the bumper. I ended up effing up one of the bolts/threads. I'm planning to have this welded/to the frame for future winching anyways so that crap doesn't actually bother me much, now that it's there.

My main concern now is that the bumper appears to tilt forward, and doesn't really follow the body line.... So frustrated. Does anyone have any experience with this, or should I just bring it to trail gears attention?

Lost..
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396152193.952773.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396152105.919124.jpg

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Archer550

Archer550 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab TRD MT
    ARB for now
    Just spitballing, but could u open up some of the holes on the horizontal axis into "slots" to allow some adjustment in the bumpers angle?

3. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Dang. And this is the exact bumper I'm planning to get soon. Idk man I've seen other trucks where it looks clean. Any chance it was in a wreck before? Never know with previously owned trucks, that is if yours was. Maybe threw off the frame a little? Or did u check out the stock bumper does it look fine where it mounts? Nothing bent? Otherwise yes I would def contact them and ask for a replacement. Send em pics.

4. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Don't look good at all. If returning it is not an option, elongating the holes may be your best bet.

5. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    Yeah, stock bumper seemed to fit up ok. I'm sure returning is not an option. Kinda annoyed because I beat (bent) the shit out of the mounting side frame mount now... I'm pretty sure there was no prior damage, had everything checked out thoroughly before buying the truck.

6. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I had use a mallet with my TG bumper install... in the end I won and fitment was no longer an issue.

7. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    I might try and loosen all of the bolts, then jack from the bumper to force it up. That's all I can think of. Not a fan I elongating the slots, as that would undermine the integrity of the bumper. If it was elongating them down, that would be ok, but in my case I'd need to make upward movement. So frustrated, I'll email trail gear once I've had a chance to simmer down.

8. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Well looking closer at your pics it doesn't look too bad. Hard to tell.. Yeah try the jack idea. Then u said you were welding it up later so that should work out. But yeah I'd be kinda pissed too. Good luck.

9. Mar 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    X2 this is what I had to do as well

10. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:

We'll see. Maybe I'll have new perspective today.. Need to run errands, but I'll post back with results.

11. Mar 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    grrillA

grrillA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '99 3.4L 4x4
    loosen and use the jack, re - tighten.

12. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Ya I'm probably gonna take it all off and paint the crap out of it again, then remount so it *hopefully* won't rust. Will give me a chance to address the angle too, crossing fingers.

13. Mar 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Archer550

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab TRD MT
    ARB for now
    Who cares about elongated slots if you are welding it on?
    I doubt u will gain that much ground with a hammer...
    My arb was out left to right wise about an inch. Couldn't move it over with a sledge.
    Ended up paying a few bucks to the local body shop to pull it over with a 20 ton ram (actually took two and they had to move the individual frame rails over)
    Maybe that's an option?

14. Mar 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I guess your right about elongating the slots. Might be able to get it tolerable using jack.

15. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    I'm tired of messing with it. No response from tg yet. Wish I had gone with another brand. Oh well. I was able to get it closer but still have a little forward lean. It's a shame to spend that kind of money, and receive a less than desirable fit.

Hopefully the structural integrity is ok... We'll see when it gets beat and yanked on.

16. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    FALlover

FALlover Well-Known Member

Member:
    luziana
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma SR5, camo paint
    trail gear bumbers, warn 9000
    FWIW, i had to beat on my frame rails as well to get it to fit. BUT i'm pretty sure the front end of my truck was a bit tweeked. one of the crush caps was gone... i think the TG fit is tight to begin with. BUT it would have been nice to have some play for fitment

in the end it fit up right but it took some persuasion.

good luck. i'm curious to know if and what TG says...don't forget to post

17. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'll post up, once I do. Btw, I'm not sure it is alignable... What do you all think about a steel spacers placed between the front bolts and crossmember, then slot the holes on the bottom/ sides? That's the only way I can think of too adjust the tilt.

18. Apr 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Trail gear wrote back, really nicely written email requesting specific photos. Kudos to the rep who answered. Will keep the thread updated.

19. Apr 1, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    SafetyDang

SafetyDang get your facts straight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dang
    Anaheim, CA
    Vehicle:
    DC with 4x4 & MT Conversion
    Swapped to Manual Trans & 4x4
    I had to hammer mine on as well its normal from what I hear. Lined mine up just fine.

20. Apr 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM
    Archer550

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab TRD MT
    ARB for now
    Spacers could work. I used a spacer (1/8 inch) on my arb install for what its worth.

Products Discussed in

To Top