1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reliability of a first generation tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Pinoiako916, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    Pinoiako916

Pinoiako916 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Roseville,ca
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2.7 4x4
    Stock
    Hello, I am deciding between a first generation vs second gen in terms of reliability and maintenance costs over a span of 10 years or more.

My question is, will i run into problems if I get a first generation tacoma? The reason why is because there are perks to buying a new second gen tacoma in that it is brand new, and you do not have to worry about having it break down and have used car problems.

What is your take on buying a first gen vs a brand new second gen for reliability and maintenance costs?

2. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    joshipps

joshipps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
    As long as it has been maintained by previous owners and if you can find one preferably with low miles you can pull alot of life out of a first gen. Aside from oil changes, a timing belt, and miscellaneous small maintenance things i've had no mechanical issues with my truck whatsoever. They are most certainly solid little rigs.

I've never owned or even ridden in a 2nd gen Tacoma so i can't speak for their reliability/maintenance costs but LOTS of people own them so they must be doing something right :cool:

MalinoisDad likes this.
  3. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    Pinoiako916

Pinoiako916 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Roseville,ca
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2.7 4x4
    Stock
    when you say low miles, do you mean under 15,000 miles per year, depending on how old the truck is?

4. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    2Tac0s

2Tac0s Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD TX-Pro PreRunner & 03 TRD PreRunner
    I have a 1st and 2nd gen. Never had a problem with either.

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    GoForBroke

GoForBroke Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    3.4L 4X4 SR5
    Like the first response said, and I guess it could for any type of used car. " if it has been maintained good". These trucks take a lot of maintenece. First check for frame rust issues if its good then the engine and trans usually hold up well however there are many people that have experienced bad valvue cover gaskets and valve timing issues as well as head gasket issues. The stock springs/leafs and shocks are not the best and if the truck has anywhere near 100k and it has not been done they will probably need to be replaced. Also timing belt water pump may be needed if the install date of those is unknown. If it has been driven on old suspension then ball joints tie rods could be on the way out too. Obviously if it is a manual there is the chance of a new clutch needed also. Right there if needed is thousands of dollars in parts/labor. I recently bought a first gen and while it is a strong running truck with good frame and engine I'm having to constantly replace other things on it.

6. Apr 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    I don't agree with this statement.

I'd drive my '97 first gen across the country and back right now.

Well, if I could afford the gas.

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    I drove my 95.5 until 2011, had over 250k on it. Only reason I got rid of it was because I needed space for the family. The performance of the vehicle is directly related to proper maintenance and how it was treated by the previous owner.

Fact is, I never should have sold it as it would have made a superior trail rig.

8. Apr 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Still driving 96 reg cab4x4 with 279,000 and original timing chain and clutch. Need I say more.
    you right Seth,me too. When I finish I'll need back surgery though and a new wife!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    ^^
    This is a total BS blanket statement and does not reflect the general reliability of these trucks.

Like others have said, much of the reliability will depend on how it has been cared for by previous owners. If its been ridden hard and put away wet, you're going to be doing more work to it to get it right again. If it has been maintained well (even if it's been ridden hard) then you should have very few problems. Granted it's still a used truck and it's best to buy as new as you can afford with the fewest miles. But the 5VZ is proving to be the most reliable motor Toyota has even had, even surpassing the reliable 22RE motors.

The best thing you can do is to take you time when buying a used truck and have it thoroughly checked out, i.e. compression test, have the clutch inspected if it's a manual etc. If you rush in and buy a truck without doing your own leg work you're asking for trouble and to me that what it sounds like happened with the above poster that says these truck take a lot of maintenance. They take maintenance, as does anything. Take care of your junk and it will last for a long time.

10. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8

X2

11. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I have not had to put anywhere near the work into my Tacoma in the 11 years that I've owned it that I had to put in a Jeep Cherokee that I owned 6 years.

12. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    18 yrs old!! They are still around.

[​IMG]

13. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    GoForBroke

Member:
    The Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    3.4L 4X4 SR5
    Like I said in my previous post it all depends on what the previous owner has or hasn't done. If things have been taken care of either prior to problems or as they come up and not neglected then you will most likely have a reliable truck. I was simply forewarning the OP that if some of this stuff has not been done then things can quickly add up to additional costs for the vehicle. I really like my first gen. it's my dream vehicle. I would not say that first gens are unreliable but to think that your not going to be putting money here and there into it is dilousional. I suppose if you can afford a new 2nd gen then that would most likely not be a problem. If you are like me then a 500-1000 dollar repair is a major expense. How uncommon is it for the suspension to be shot on a first gen for sale? (500-1000). How uncommon is it for a clutch to be going out on a first gen up for sale? Another 400-1000 dollar repair. How uncommon is it for the sensors or cat/muffler to be going out? Another 200-1000 dollar repair. How uncommon is it for lower ball joints needing to be replaced on first gens? Another 200-400 dollar repair. If you don't think it's very common for many first gens up for sale to have some or many of these things needing to be done then just go and check your local Craigslist ads and inspect the vehicles up for sale. Just look at the posts on this very forum and read about the problems people are having with their trucks. Again everyone I love my first gen and I know y'all love yours too but sheesh don't get y'all's panties in a bunch if someone dosent say they are the most perfect most reliable vehicles on the face of the earth. Every truck/brand has its own quirks and I'm trying to give the OP a possible scenario of what may be out there for sale.

14. Apr 4, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    But they are the most perfect, most reliable trucks on the face of the earth. I thought that's what brought us all here together haha?

15. Apr 4, 2014 at 4:23 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    If you are buying a used vehicle of any make ,wouldn't all vehicles be in need of repairs and maintenance? Some of the things you mention are valid. It sounds to me like you are speaking from experience. Like maybe you didn't do your homework before buying used. These things you mention are general maintenence! Any vehicle fits your description. Toyotas go longer and stay longer on the road between maintenence.Have you ever owned a ford ranger,S10. I have! They go 100,000 and then start having much more serious issues compared to toyota. Nobody in the whole thread said they were perfect. So who has their panties in a bunch. I'm just sayin.

16. Apr 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Somebody has their panties in a bunch...

17. Apr 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    GoForBroke

Member:
    The Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    3.4L 4X4 SR5
    You all have valid points, and I did state that these repairs could apply for other makes. I'm simply raising the obvious point to the OP that if you buy a used 1st gen 90-100 plus miles on it you are not going to just turn key and drive everyday like you would with a brand new second gen. If I had the money I'd buy a new second gen. If its too much of a stretch financially to do so just don't expect to pay much less for a first gen and not have to do some of these things and the expense of the repairs add up quickly if you don't already have your own tools knowledge and time to do them yourself. If you do have the time and experience to work on your own truck then by all means I wouldn't shy away from a first gen at all. I did my research and my panties are not in a bunch I have a good truck. Look at the posts in the first gen section of what others are talking about and then look at the post in the second gen section. The OP was asking about first gen vs second gen maintenance.

18. Apr 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like you want a 2nd gen! There are many statements from the
    2nd gen crowd that they wish they had never gotten rid of their 1st gens also. Huh.

19. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    For comparrison, I drive a 2002 Tacoma and a 2007 Ford Explorer.
    The Tacoma is twice the age, but I only had to replace one $98 air/fuel sensor. That's it. That average out to about $8 per year repair cost.
    The Explorer gets the same level of maintenance, but we have spent several thousand dollars in repairs over the 7 years. Transmission, brakes, radiator, electrical, etc...
    I agree with some of the bickering above about depending on maintenance etc., but apples for apples comparrison, you can't beat the 1st gen reliability. (I am saying 1st gen because that's my only experience. From reading this forum I see more issues with 2nd gens that the 1st gens don't have - vibrations, whistles etc., but I believe that they are mechanically just as reliable as the 1st gens.)

20. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I am on board with this. I have never driven a 2nd gen. Only know what I have read in posts. I had a eddie bauer that cost me a small fortune in repairs,and often. Nothing beats a toyota. 1st or 2nd gen. But to answer op's question. No used vehicle will be as reliable as a new one in my small mind.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top