1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 tacoma floods in cold temps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by robinsoncreek, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Apr 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    robinsoncreek

robinsoncreek [OP] Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma SR5
    I have a 96 tacoma SR5 which has been bullet proof since I bought it in about 2002. I changed the spark plugs once and that has been the only work I've had to do on the engine.

Lately, the truck has taken to getting flooded when trying to start it in cold weather. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to hold the skinny pedal on the floor to get the truck to start. This has happened about 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

2. Apr 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Need more info...

Whatta you mean that it 'floods'??

What's it doing? (or not doing)

Is it cranking over? Cranking slowly?

3. Apr 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    robinsoncreek

robinsoncreek [OP] Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma SR5
    I mean that there appears to be too much gas in the mixture in the cylinders. That is what flood means to me. The reason I think this is that the solution to getting the truck to start is to just hold the gas pedal on the floor and crank. That is the only way I have ever gotten the truck to start when it gets in this mode. My wife called me from down town yesterday and said it would not start. I had her hold the pedal down and it started right up.

So I could be wrong about the flooding but opening the throttle wide open is the way I have always gotten a flooded engine to start. If you have another idea about what might be wrong here I would love to hear it.

4. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    maddog61

maddog61 Member

Member:
    Revelstoke,BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 2.7 Tacoma
    When did u change the plugs and tuneup? Your tacoma is fuel injected..u shouldn't have to touch gas petal to start???...........Has your fuel filter been changed....spark plug wires.............If I was u, I'd take to a garage and have check timing and etc???

Products Discussed in

To Top