Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can I fix this?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
How can I fix this?

First, I have holes in my air filter housing from the previous owner. I've been using duct tape and electrical tape to cover up the holes because my engine would get VERY loud when I put my foot down and I was getting MPGs in the single digits. Second, the arm that comes out of the air filter housing where you connect the pipe/hose that connects to the throttle body/engine broke off. I tried epoxying it and it lasted for a few months but broke off again recently. I just went out and taped both of them up pretty well with duct tape to last me for a little longer. Is there any way I can fix these problems without spending $740 for a new box? I have included pictures of my problem:
Attached Thumbnails
How can I fix this?-20140405_134815-1-.jpg   How can I fix this?-20140405_134824-1-.jpg   How can I fix this?-20140405_134857-1-.jpg   How can I fix this?-20140405_135845-1-.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Those are hard to fix. Just go to a local u-pull it place and grab one from a junk Tacoma.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #3

No junk yards/ pull-a-part places in my area have Tacomas
Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
1stmadetaco
Andy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud ofAndy.G has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
No junk yards/ pull-a-part places in my area have Tacomas
What year? Engine? I got whole setup from 96
Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
What year? Engine?
2001 3.4 V6
Old 04-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Check the fs/wanted area and post there for a used set up for cheap. a bunch of these guys are replacing stock with aftermarket intakes and looking/posting there will be your best bet. There is no fixing that unless you replace the whole assembly. That is some pretty knarly plastic work my friend.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
mkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Joe
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $100 for a new airborne from Rockauto.com
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Search 3.4l air box Toyota on eBay?

http://bit.ly/1d66yFt
Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
nswsparky is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
nswsparky's Tacoma Gallery
isent that the "deck plate mod" that a lot of people do on here.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Didn't think about looking online. Kinda broke at the moment so I was seeing if I could do something that wouldn't cost me anything. Guess I gotta save up
Old 04-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswsparky View Post
isent that the "deck plate mod" that a lot of people do on here.
Nope, thats the "cut a bunch of stupid holes" mod a lot of people on here DO NOT do.

Deck plate mod: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...plate-mod.html
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a ghetto deckplate mod attempt. Except not really because you can't just close it up.

I think I mentioned this before about your situation, but go get some G/flex epoxy made by West System. That would glue that plastic together easily. I think your issue before was not wanting to let it sit to cure...but any repair like that will have to sit for a day to fully cure/fume off.

Here is an example of how strong this stuff is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5RlcP-4JE
Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
lipster is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
$63 bucks from ebay, new, no shipping, no tax. Best thing you could do is order it quick.

I know you are broke, but that is a tank of gas.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Mine broke too so I bought a new one. Damn new one also broke just a month later. Epoxy and duct tape is now holding it together.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #15

[QUOTE=ffirg;8470872]That looks like a ghetto deckplate mod attempt. Except not really because you can't just close it up.

I think I mentioned this before about your situation, but go get some G/flex epoxy made by West System. That would glue that plastic together easily. I think your issue before was not wanting to let it sit to cure...but any repair like that will have to sit for a day to fully cure/fume off.

Here is an example of how strong this stuff is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5RlcP-4JE[/QUOTE]
I let it sit for a day and a half. Just over time it broke. The original epoxying did the job for a few months. Just realized it broke again a couple of days ago. I'll try this stuff out when I get some money.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
If you lived a LITTLE closer I'd let you use some from our work. I've got a few bottles around we use for repairs. It's great stuff.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
First, I have holes in my air filter housing from the previous owner. I've been using duct tape and electrical tape to cover up the holes because my engine would get VERY loud when I put my foot down and I was getting MPGs in the single digits. Second, the arm that comes out of the air filter housing where you connect the pipe/hose that connects to the throttle body/engine broke off. I tried epoxying it and it lasted for a few months but broke off again recently. I just went out and taped both of them up pretty well with duct tape to last me for a little longer. Is there any way I can fix these problems without spending $740 for a new box? I have included pictures of my problem:
Here you go Nola
$65 + shipping

Great deal if you ask me!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #18

Thanks! I was considering a cold air intake. I heard somewhere the OEM ones break a lot. Which route should I go?