1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ground location help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Noslo28, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    Noslo28

Noslo28 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    McCleary, WA
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma
    3" lift, cold air Intake, TRD throttle body spacer, ARB front bumper, winch, wet oakle seat covers, Clear coners, Clear Tail lights
    Does anyone know where I can find the ground on my frame for my brake lights? I can't seem to locate it on my 2000 2.7L I keep blowing fuses and I have followed everything back to the where it goes into the cab now breaks. I have disconnected my trailer plug, changes the switch at the top of my brake pedal and still have an issue. When I apply the brakes the light come on for a second but then the fuse pops.

2. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I would think you have a power draw, not a ground problem. I would look along the harness for it to have a spot where it has rubbed through the insulation?

Easy test would be to remove your brake bulbs and apply the brakes. Does the fuse blow again after a few seconds? If yes, then you have a short in the wiring to the rear brake lights, or a bad socket for the bulb. reinstall one bulb at a time and retest. Also don't forget your third brake light as a suspect as well.

Seagull233 likes this.
  3. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Noslo28

Noslo28 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    McCleary, WA
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma
    3" lift, cold air Intake, TRD throttle body spacer, ARB front bumper, winch, wet oakle seat covers, Clear coners, Clear Tail lights
    Yes the fuse still blows with no bulbs in. I followed all wires from plug to where the go into the cab and didn't see anything obvious. You don't think it could be a bad ground? All other lights work fine

4. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    If you had an issue with a 'bad ground', then one or more brake lights wouldn't come on, or come on weakly, and the fuse would not blow. It behaves like a short, as bamatoy stated.

A wire between the fuse and one of the bulbs has frayed and come in contact with ground. Look harder. Simply jiggling the wire in question could temporarily move the frayed point away from the ground, and prevent a blown fuse.

There are 3 circuits to brake lights (left,right, middle). If the lights go on for a second or two before the fuse blows, then it possible for that one light to be weaker than the others. That could be the circuit with the short, and help narrow your search.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  5. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Things to consider, that may not have been mentioned/tried already:
    Has the truck been in an accident/had body repair?
    Did you also remove the 3rd brake light bulbs?

6. Apr 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Sounds like an open short somewhere, could even be the plugs themselves as mentioned you've got some bare metal , not sure if this would work but you might take a multi meter & check the plug for continuity or actually a short, take one of the leads & stick it in pos. side of plug & ground the other against frame it should still read 0 if theres movement in numbers with resistance , then it would seem to me that the wire s def. ARCing against frame , hell i dont know, i hate electrical....

7. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Noslo28

Noslo28 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    McCleary, WA
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma
    No, no and yes I have looked at my third brake light. I am going to inspect the plugs more which I get a spare moment and see what I can find

8. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Reinstall 1 bulb at a time and retest.

You disconnected your trailer plug. Do you tow alot?

9. Jun 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Bulged210

Bulged210 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Vehicle:
    1997 tacoma extended cab
    So I have a 3.4 I just had body work done the bed and the front fenders and paint my truck just started doing the same. It seems more intermittent because I can drive the truck bit after a while it just pop the fuse

10. Jun 4, 2019 at 11:09 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    here is the diagram for your truck.
    Things I would check first. Trailer Convertor box. I have attached the zip file with all of Toyotas documents.
    if she is an automatic, check the shift interlock.

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top