Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas mileage!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #121
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzman View Post
my commute is 5.6 miles with about 12 stoplights, and 1 tunnel. Takes 35 minutes :|
that is awful, I am so sorry for your (MPG) loss. Lol

My commute is:

Driveway>1/3 mile>highway>1-2miles>4 way stop>5 miles interstate>~12 miles>exit> 2-3 stop lights until my place of work>1 mile road to plant

So I get good on the highway but those dang stops before and after suck.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #122
Len04Taco is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Len
Len04Taco's Tacoma Gallery

I guess the "pulse & glide" will come with watching the Ultra Gauge II carefully. Not making too many changes at one time. Will try to evaluate each step.

Anyone heard of a deal on these gauges recently?

Len

Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #123
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyjd View Post
The ScanGuage II is a really good idea. I run UltraGuage because it's only $60, but I really like it. I noticed instant acceleration improvement when I went to smaller tires and this helps me allot with my driving style (I mostly pulse & glide).
Scangauge has a newer model ScangaugeE, that is a stripped down version with no x-gauge or power options for $100.

My first generation Scangauge has been failing and it doesn't have the ability to detect deceleration fuel cutoff. I'm considering going with the E, how does the Ultragauge do for DFCO Mike? The new scangauge has a tunable DFCO setting.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #124
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Scangauge has a newer model ScangaugeE, that is a stripped down version with no x-gauge or power options for $100.

My first generation Scangauge has been failing and it doesn't have the ability to detect deceleration fuel cutoff. I'm considering going with the E, how does the Ultragauge do for DFCO Mike? The new scangauge has a tunable DFCO setting.
I can't answer that like Mike can but I did just read UG's page because I am considering buying one and they claim that while some gauges max at 99 MPG (usually coasting unless you drive a prius), UG maxes at 999. Not sure if that helps you, but there it is.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #125
MPG Enthusiast
Mikeyjd will become famous soon enoughMikeyjd will become famous soon enough

Name: Mikey
Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
DFCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

The gauge can tell when I get deactivation and it'll go up to 130mpg or so, but I mostly just coast in neutral with the engine off and get 999.99. So far I have no complaints about the UG and would recommend it to anyone looking for simple instrumentation.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #126
Robb235 is on a distinguished road
Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The gauge can tell when I get deactivation and it'll go up to 130mpg or so, but I mostly just coast in neutral with the engine off and get 999.99. So far I have no complaints about the UG and would recommend it to anyone looking for simple instrumentation.
Are you f**king kidding me?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #127
Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len04Taco View Post

I guess the "pulse & glide" will come with watching the Ultra Gauge II carefully. Not making too many changes at one time. Will try to evaluate each step.

Anyone heard of a deal on these gauges recently?

Len

Have you tried using a phone based program instead? I know lots of people have had good luck with Torque Pro on their Androids, and I've been using Engine Link on my iPhone. You have to buy an OBD-to-Bluetooth adapter, and purchase the program, but it comes out to be much cheaper than buying a SG2.

In addition to watching the transmission temps, I also watch the MAF sensor to help with gas mileage. I'll look at how many lbs per minute the engine is consuming, and I'll try to decrease it while still maintaining a good speed. It's kinda like a game on longer trips, and helps my mileage out.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #128
MPG Enthusiast
Mikeyjd will become famous soon enoughMikeyjd will become famous soon enough

Name: Mikey
Mikeyjd's Tacoma Gallery
Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
Are you f**king kidding me?
This last weekend I had an 82 mile round trip. The engine was off for 46 of those miles and my mpg for the trip was 40.2mpg. Almost halfway through this tank my Ultragauge has me at 35.5mpg
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #129
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but I mostly just coast in neutral with the engine off

I'm so glad I don't drive near you
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #130
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
So I just averaged 23.5 mpg by taking my time and doing 60. And I got to keep my comforts, like A/C
Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #131

Quote:
Have you tried using a phone based program instead? I know lots of people have had good luck with Torque Pro on their Androids, and I've been using Engine Link on my iPhone. You have to buy an OBD-to-Bluetooth adapter, and purchase the program, but it comes out to be much cheaper than buying a SG2.

In addition to watching the transmission temps, I also watch the MAF sensor to help with gas mileage. I'll look at how many lbs per minute the engine is consuming, and I'll try to decrease it while still maintaining a good speed. It's kinda like a game on longer trips, and helps my mileage out.
How?

Quote:
This last weekend I had an 82 mile round trip. The engine was off for 46 of those miles and my mpg for the trip was 40.2mpg. Almost halfway through this tank my Ultragauge has me at 35.5mpg
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
So I just averaged 23.5 mpg by taking my time and doing 60. And I got to keep my comforts, like A/C
How did you do that? 4.0 or 2.7? I kept minimal A/C, minimal idle, tried pusle and glide, and got 22.5!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #132
Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Why are these quoted to me? I didn't post these...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #133
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
How did you do that? 4.0 or 2.7? I kept minimal A/C, minimal idle, tried pusle and glide, and got 22.5!
3.4. First gen FTW! . I had minimal to no A/C(whatever was comfortable), 60 mph, and I've got some aggressive tires. V6 x-cab auto
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #134
Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage!

Quote:
How?
Here's a how-to:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ur-iphone.html
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #135
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
After replacing the cat converters and sensors I'm getting 15mpg city driving which I do a lot of, it sux. On the highway I'm averaging 19-20 mpg which is awesome for me.

Before I replaced cats and sensors I was getting 12-13 city and like 16 hwy.

Now I look for every opportunity to take the hwy. ultra guage has averaged my mpg at 16.7mpg which I'm happy with since 3/4 of my driving is city/ stop and go.

Plus I have about 250lbs of extra weight from armor and 33x10.5 km2s. So for me 16-17 mpg is great.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #136

Quote:
Why are these quoted to me? I didn't post these...
Is that an app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
3.4. First gen FTW! . I had minimal to no A/C(whatever was comfortable), 60 mph, and I've got some aggressive tires. V6 x-cab auto
Kerb weight? How much highway how much city?

[QUOTE=Robb235;8747216]Here's a how-to:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...tml[/QUOTE]

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
After replacing the cat converters and sensors I'm getting 15mpg city driving which I do a lot of, it sux. On the highway I'm averaging 19-20 mpg which is awesome for me.

Before I replaced cats and sensors I was getting 12-13 city and like 16 hwy.

Now I look for every opportunity to take the hwy. ultra guage has averaged my mpg at 16.7mpg which I'm happy with since 3/4 of my driving is city/ stop and go.

Plus I have about 250lbs of extra weight from armor and 33x10.5 km2s. So for me 16-17 mpg is great.
Could you go into more detail as to what you did with your catalytic converters?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #137
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Could you go into more detail as to what you did with your catalytic converters?[/QUOTE]

I still have them in my garage. I bought direct fit magnaflow cats so I could do the work myself. I'm thinking about selling them to a metal recycling center since the OEM cats are worth some $.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I still have them in my garage. I bought direct fit magnaflow cats so I could do the work myself. I'm thinking about selling them to a metal recycling center since the OEM cats are worth some $.
How much was the cats that brought you better fuel economy? I like MPG
Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #139

Watch out in the tacoma, high flow cats loose lower end torque. And sometimes will throw a code.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #140

Quote:
Kerb weight? How much highway how much city?
Not really positive, I think around 3800lbs. That was all highway miles lol. All city I get 16-17. Maybe a little more