1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blowing Hot!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sikora8, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    sikora8

sikora8 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04' SR5
    Folks...I have a 2004 2.7 4cyl Tacoma 4x4...problem is with the interior cabin temperature. The a/c doesn't cool at all but I believe that I have a leak...I can smell the refrigerant through the vents fork several days after the fill. The main issue is with the "vent" temperature even in the dead of winter. It doesn't matter what setting I have the control set to, it always blows hot hot air. The cable under the hood seems to be moving when I change settings but does nothing to actually change the temperature.
    It seems that I'm getting too much engine heat into the cab but don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions?

2. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    who filled it?

3. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Probably bad valve controlling the engine coolant to the heater... Try replacing it. Not sure about the A/C leak... Check the AC after you fix that heater valve...

0xDEADBEEF likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    sikora8

sikora8 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04' SR5
    I filled it myself...twice...what is the technical name of that valve? Any idea where it's located exactly?

5. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Heater control valve. Located on the firewall behind the engine as per big red circle :D:

[​IMG]

6. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Could be a leak. Take it to a shop to check it out :notsure:

The heater control valve def sounds bad though.

7. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    That valve circled in red in Chris's post above. check for leaks,,make sure the cable is still attached to the valve and it's doing it's thing with moderate resistance on the control lever inside as you slide that. (closes off hot water to the heater core). Call me crazy, but I like to feel a bit of resistance on that control,,it lets me know it is at least moving the valve to the closed/recirc water position underhood. A super slippery control lever usually means the valve has come apart or the cable end is not even attached to the pin on the valve.

You might have to pull that off, to just make sure it works and to check it off the list of possible things.

I assume the clutch on the a/c unit is kicking on when you select a/c?.

I had shattered guts on the control panel button for the a/c and it blew hot occasionally when lit ,,but that was just a bad button. $5 upullit junkyard button and I was back in shape. ($40 for new)

I would have a pro a/c shop do a diagnose on the a/c if it still blows hot after filling. I applaud your go-for-it to refill it yourself,, twice,, but they deal with this stuff all day long and know the little tests and tricks to making it do what it is supposed to do.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  8. Mar 17, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    primostoy

primostoy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Stepside 4x4
    I know this an old thread, but my 2004 Tacoma is blowing hot air all the time when the air is on, outside low pressure line is cold, after checking the Freon level I noticed that my temperature control valve cable was disconnected, I hooked it back up but the switch is evidently bad so I disconnected the cable again and manually moved the valve to the closed position, sure enough cold air again. I guess I'll just leave it like this until I get some extra cash. Thanks to all for the inputs...

0xDEADBEEF likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top