1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny Flush Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Fatherof2, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    Fatherof2

Fatherof2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    Hi Guys,

My Taco now has 116K on it.

I want to do a total flush of the tranny fluid.

The dealer says 225 bucks for parts and labor. I assume that includes filter.

Monroe will do it for 125 but no filter change. They say I probably don't need the filter anyway as they add cleaner.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    Sirbarkz2much

Sirbarkz2much Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sherman Oaks,CA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5 Limited Double Cab
    How does the fluid look at this point?

The reason I ask is from what I've been told that if you're over 100K and have never flushed and the fluid is dark and or has metal flakes in it you risk blowing the tranny if you do a full flush.

I've heard just do a drain and refill around the same time you change the engine oil but of course you're only getting a fraction of the fluid out that way.

What year Tacoma do you have?

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    CleanSC

CleanSC ASE Certified Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '02 Reg Cab PreRunner 2.7
    Just drain it and refill.

Do it again later if the color is still a little dark for your tastes.

That "cleaner" they speak of is playing with fire. Don't do it.

If there's massive flakes floating in there, it's too late: the tranny is shot already and changing the fluid to fresh fluid with no flakes floating in it will just make it worse.

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    It would be cheaper to skip the flush.

My transmission was chirping an awful lot. I checked the level and it looked like used motor oil. Instead of a flush I drained it into a container with measure marks on the side. The kind you find in the pain isle at the hardware store. Drained 4.5 quarts and added 4.5 quarts. Drove the truck as usual the next day. When I got off work I did the same drain and refill I did the day before. Did this for 5 days until the ATF on the dipstick was fresher and more pink.

A couple days later I dropped the pan and replaced the screen filter. I also cleaned the magnets. Used a cork gasket that came with the filter screen and topped it off with fresh atf.

I may have gone over board and wasted some atf. Overall cost was around $100 but I got a new screen filter and didn't push any debris where they don't belong like you would with a flush possibly. Also got to clean my magnets.

I call it the 5 day cleanse haha.

5. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would never ever do a flush without removing the pan first , checking the magnets and filter .
    The good flushing machines flush the transmission with the " PAN AND FILTER REMOVED "
    Your best bet is calling back to see what is involved with their said fluid flushes .
    If they are not removing the pan for inspection before performing a flush , walk away .
    You could do as mentioned above and simply drain the fluid in the pan without removing it and re-fill , but dont flush without pulling the pan and filter .
    Cleaners can also be tricky to use .If you dont get the all the cleansing agent out during a flush , it will eventually turn to acid with heat exposure

6. Apr 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Fatherof2

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    Great info guys...............thank you.

The tranny fluid in my Taco looks great and smells fine.

I bought the truck with 106K on it. I just don't know when it was changed last. I figured I would change it to be sure. I now have 116K on the truck. It shifts just fine.

I have to believe that the fluid is not totally shot as it looks good and smells fine as I said.

Just want to be smart. Love this truck and I really want it to last.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

7. Apr 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    Fatherof2

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    Forgot to mention that my truck is a 2004 DC TRD.

Thank you.

8. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    You could also drain out the 4.5 quarts of ATF when you change your oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top