Notices

Help with diagnosing engine noise

Old 04-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
billync is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
billync's Tacoma Gallery
Help with diagnosing engine noise

Hello all,

My first post here and I'm hoping you can help either diagnose a problem or tell me I'm crazy. I recently purchased a 2004 3.4 V6 D-cab with 62000 miles on it. Now that I've driven it a bit, I'm noticing all the sounds. I've got a noise that seems similar to what I've seen described on the idler pulley bearing. I changed the pulley yesterday and the noise hasn't changed. I tried to get it on video:

http://youtu.be/kvvHEXBHWAo

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if it is the idler pulley for the timing belt. The truck will be due for a belt at 90k anyways.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billync View Post
Hello all,

My first post here and I'm hoping you can help either diagnose a problem or tell me I'm crazy. I recently purchased a 2004 3.4 V6 D-cab with 62000 miles on it. Now that I've driven it a bit, I'm noticing all the sounds. I've got a noise that seems similar to what I've seen described on the idler pulley bearing. I changed the pulley yesterday and the noise hasn't changed. I tried to get it on video:

http://youtu.be/kvvHEXBHWAo

Any help is appreciated.
Noise seems similar to what I had. It was the clutch & pulley hub as there is play on the hub itself that can create that noise.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I wonder if it is the idler pulley for the timing belt. The truck will be due for a belt at 90k anyways.
The belt can be taken off and the idler pulley can be spun by hand and should spin freely.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
billync's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the replies, DriverSound - if I take the belts loose will I be able to feel the play? Doesn't wiggle at all with everything tight.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Señor Member

Quote:
thanks for the replies, DriverSound - if I take the belts loose will I be able to feel the play? Doesn't wiggle at all with everything tight.
You're gonna have to take the fan clutch off and play can be minimum. The hub should spin freely. There's a bearing pressed into the aluminum hub/mount and cannot be replaced. If the noise doesn't bother you that much, you can wait a bit until the noise gets louder.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
billync's Tacoma Gallery
I should probably clarify that the idler pulley I replaced was the one that tensions the ac compressor belt.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Señor Member

Quote:
I should probably clarify that the idler pulley I replaced was the one that tensions the ac compressor belt.
Is that the one on the very bottom of the front of the motor? That's the one that usually makes noise first.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
billync's Tacoma Gallery
yep, that's the one
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Señor Member

I suggest you wait until you're at 90K when you're doing the T-belt as you have to remove those parts anyway. I know it sucks about the noise but as long as it doesn't affect driveability, you're good to go. Save your money until that time. I think the whole assembly is like a $200-300 part.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
billync's Tacoma Gallery
I guess that's really the point, whether or not it's something I should worry about...thanks for the replies