1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake issue?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smmarine, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Apr 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    smmarine

smmarine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    So I've done a little research but can't really find what I'm looking for. I just recently replaced front pads and rotors, and we inspected my rear drums and shoes. They said my rear shoes were fine and adjusted right. But I feel like my truck doesn't stop like it should. It will lock up the front, but I just feel like it's not stopping right. It takes quite a bit of petal to stop. So should I 1)get my brakes bled? 2) would I be able to adjust the rear proportioning valve so it engages some more rear brakes. The rear never lock, and looking at what i believe is the adjustment lever on the axle for the valve, the adjustment nut is all the way at the end. Shouldn't it be a little farther down on the arm?

2. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I wouldn't mess with the proportioning valve unless you added a suspension lift. It's set from factory. Remember that 70% of your braking comes from the front anyway. Did you replace and calipers or have any brake fluid leaks? If not you shouldn't have to bleed the brakes unless someone previously was messing around with it. In any case it's pretty easy to bleed them and also gets some fresh fluid in there.

3. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    No new calipers, just new pads and rotors. I just feel like there's too much petal before I really start to brake, I know most of the brakes come from the front. I did add the optional alloy 15s with 31x10.5x15. The truck came with steelies with 225/75/15. I immediately noticed harder braking with the bigger, heavier tires

4. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    Coppertone

Coppertone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR
    I'm having a similar issues. In for possible solutions...

5. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    That's a tough one. Could be a problem with master cylinder. Did the rear brake cylinders look ok? Sometimes its hard to tell but they can have small leaks. I had to disconnect my rear brake lines for a locker install. When I put it all back together I had to bleed the brakes A LOT to get all the air out.

6. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    You know what, I just had a truetrac installed, and I thought the brakes felt softer when I drove it home. Also I had some kind of squeak from the right drum that I hadn't checked out yet, and I noticed that it doesn't squeak now after the trans shop went in my diff. I wonder of they disconnected my brakes? They should have had to to pull the axles out. But no I've looked at the lines and I notice no leaks anywhere. And the fluid reservoir is still full

Products Discussed in

To Top