Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking Brake Cable Broke

Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
Parking Brake Cable Broke

I went to set my parking brake to day in my 98 tacoma 5spd and the lever cam all the way out with no tension. It seems as though im going to need to replace the cable. What is the easiest way to replace the cable. Im not mecahnic guru but im not clueless about wokring on my truck, any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Tmantstud
Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Have you crawled underneath to look at 'where' it broke?

Is it actually broken or could it have come disconnected somewhere?

I'm not too familiar with where or how it connects to the pull handle, but I do know (on a 3.4L) it connects to the tensioner near the middle of the truck along the frame rail.

I would check the tensioner and make sure everything is intact, in case it came disconnected somewhere.

A lame picture of the tensioner (so to speak).

Other than that, you gotta find out exactly where it broke from. There's multiple cable sections.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
High Mileage Work

the two back cables that go to the rear drums are still taught and visible but the single split off that goes up to the handle has completely broken off or i think it is because i am unable to locate anymore.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmantstud View Post
the two back cables that go to the rear drums are still taught and visible but the single split off that goes up to the handle has completely broken off or i think it is because i am unable to locate anymore.
Where did it break? Near the front of the vehicle/at the handle? Or at the tensioner/adjuster (or near it)? Can you snap any pictures?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
High Mileage Work

After further investigation today i found that the cable broke at the handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking Brake Cable Broke-img_1151.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmantstud View Post
After further investigation today i found that the cable broke at the handle.
The only thing I can tell ya...without seeing things directly....

I'd call Napa (or other auto store) and ask if they have replacement cable for that. Obviously, you'll probably need the entire front piece.

You can look in the factory service manuals and look for the actual part and maybe even give Napa some info of exactly what you're looking for.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html (scroll down to your vehicle)

**I only mentioned Napa because I've had good luck with them having other cable related parts for other vehicles I've owned.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
High Mileage Work

Thanks for all your help ill try Napa and if that doesn't work ill call up my favorite toyota mechanic.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
YOTA95 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 03 Motor T
YOTA95's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up some cable from home depot for less that $2 for 5 feet. I plan on rigging something up. I feel really good about this replacement.