1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Clicks, Pops, and Squeaks. But only with a Passenger?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CleanSC, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    CleanSC

CleanSC [OP] ASE Certified Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '02 Reg Cab PreRunner 2.7
    The irony is I bought this truck for it's simplicity and the fact it wouldn't give me any issues. I sold off a complicated $50,000 Lexus GS400 V8 (worth that when new, I paid only $9k 15 years later) for the piece of mind of the simple Tacoma.

And I'm on the brink of insanity 10 days into the ownership. LOL :D

(The Lexus never gave me a single problem.)

The gas mileage of the 2.7 is heaven-sent, however. :p

As they say, used cars is buying someone else's problem. I'm sure it'll be fine after I sort everything.

2. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I've never really heard these noises from a taco. Something's definitely going on somewhere, sorry I can't be more help over the web. But I will say you've made a good choice on a used truck haha. It's probably just related to age and could just be catching up on maintainance.

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Understand your frustration. You will find the issue and fix it, then you will be on easy street. Most of us on here enjoy many trouble free years with these trucks. Problems start when we start to mod stuff. Could totally relate to a mod up front.(suspension). There are a bunch of people who have a lot of knowledge on this site that will help you figure this out. Someone will hit on it!

4. Apr 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    I'm pretty sure I have the same front sounds coming from mine. I recently upgraded my suspension so I figured it was related to that.

5. Apr 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    BamaToy1997 is a certified tech with his own shop. He tries to help people here, I know I've shot him some questions. Maybe shoot him a PM

6. Apr 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I looked at all bushings I could find, front and rear. All look good. Lower control arm bushings are nice and tight, as evidenced by turning the wheel lock to lock and watching them not move at all.

Jouncing the suspension at each corner, then at each end makes no noise, only sloshing in the gas tank.

I put a 2x4 between the cab pinch weld and the nerf bar. A can leverage the cab up about 1/4" doing this. With my fingers between the mount rubber and body, I can feel the flexing taking place.

So I put my gym weights back in to trigger the noise to continue investigations.

And now the noise is fucking gone. :confused::eek:

I'm losing all my hair here. I put my wife in it and we went to run some errands. Not a peep. I *may* have heard a mild click once. But at best, the noise went from 100% to 1%. No changes in weather, weight, or anything else I can think of. Moon phase maybe?

Go fukkin figure. Ugh.

It will be back, then so will I. :p

In the meantime I will still look around.

I may order my new wheels and tires to cheer me up a bit. :D Still deciding on those tho...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  7. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    Same thing happened when I took off my wheel and dust cap to investigate a clicking sound. I don't get it.

Maybe with the flexing of the cab when you tested it put something back where it belongs or loosened something that wasn't supposed to be in there like debris of some sort. I love those FREE fixes.

8. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Yep, the leveraging of the cab upwards to flex the body mounts was all I really did to change anything. The rest was visual.

Hopefully that's the end of it, but I seriously doubt it. I can't be let off that easy. :D

Time will tell...

9. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    Keep us posted!

10. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    Twalt87

Twalt87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    Lol sounds like your having fun. Glad it went away, let us know if it comes back.
    By any chance did you try to lift the box up and down. Had a few wear out between the frame and bottom and they would clunk randomly. Just a thought =)

The other option if it comes back. Find someone who has or buy a chassis ear. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Chassis-Ear-JSP97202-Category/dp/B001DICEKC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3/190-4564713-5510107?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K8HH7X85N46EE1C32BF
    And place them around suspect points =) Saved my ass several times.

Noises, clunks, and Bumps are the most PITA things to find haha.

11. Apr 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Box meaning the bed? I thought that was hard bolted on with no bushings?

Or is box something else?

12. Apr 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Twalt87

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    The bed. Box. Same shit. They are but they can come loose. We had one of the newer plastic ones in and it was loose. Rubbed half way through the bottom mounting points on the box. Lol.
    Chances are it's not it. But it doesn't hurt to try lift up on each bed corner with your hands.

13. Apr 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Hey I'll try anything at this point. I'll give it a yank tonight. ;)

Thanks.

14. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    A pebble stuck somewhere,,rubbing and making a clicking noise against sheetmetal or a hard surface of some sort possibly.

15. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    Twalt87

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    That too, i had a rock above my heat shield it was jammed in there. Over bumps it would clunk on the floor.

16. Apr 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is something I was thinking also, I listened to your audio earlier & yeah the sounds i did hear were the normal for the most part except the one that sounded like 2 pieces of metal striking against eachother, that was the one that concerned me, a rock between the cab/frame being ground down is perfectly plausible

17. Apr 18, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Update...

Sound slowly came back. (shocker)

It's about 40% this time tho, which sucks as now it's harder to diagnose because I can't replicate it at driveway speeds of 1mph like before. I have to be on the road. Obviously can't be under it like that. My wife as the passenger says she hears the squeak behind her. As in between the bed and cab on her side.

I spend a good amount of time under the truck again. This time I removed both skid plates as they seemed way too close to the oil pan. As in like 1 or 2mm. That can't be right, can it? Maybe it was hit and bent up but there's no curves in it that look "field applied". Anyway it's off and noise still there.

Checked the rear spring bushings, all good. Gas gank mounts, straps, all solid. Spare tire has some give and makes a minor noise if you thrash it but it's not the noises I'm chasing. Bed mounts all seem solid. Nerf bar mounts and bolts all seem tight. Lower control arm bushings are nice and solid, no movement under test. Can't see any cracks on frame mounting ears for bed, cab, or shock tower. Brake hardware all seems tight and in place.

Again I will stress this only happens with extra weight in the cab so I keep concentrating on this being some sort of weight carrying component. Either strut top mounting, lower shock bushing (which is tired but still doing it's job), or again with the body mounts.

If I jump in the bed, slowly or quicky trying to jar the truck into the noise, nothing. Jouncing the shit out of each corner and each end also results in silence.

The only other clue is the fact the truck is a little vibraty when stopped at idle speeds, which has prompted me to do the engine mounts. Altho I've never seen engine mounts cause this type of noise. But they are on the list anyway.

The rock idea makes the most sense. As the body lowers from weight, it makes contact. As weight is removed, the cab goes up, provides more clearance, and no noise results. I will take a hard look at the top of the frame front to back and see if I have any stowaways.

As for the chassis ears, I've been wanting to add those to my arsenal for quite some time. But I've always been successful tracking down noises for the past 20 years the old fashioned way. I've always taken pride in it.

That's what's making this so hard to for me to accept. ;)

Thanks, fellas! I may try removing the nerf bars next but hell if they aren't on tight as shit. Doubt it's that.

I will spend some time under the truck tomorrow with it on the lift and see what pops out.

The search continues...

18. Apr 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    It's little sketchy but how about lifting the rear of your truck and put the frame on jack stands. Have one or two people sit in your truck and step on the gas as if you're driving it. Maybe the sounds will come back and you'll be able to isolate the sounds.

19. Apr 18, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Should be easy to try when on the lift... Might give that a shot. If it does it at that point with the truck stationary and unloaded suspension, then it points to the engine mounts, cab mounts, and removes the suspension from the focus of the investigation.

Good tip, thanks!

20. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    You must look funny in your neighborhood jumping all over your truck and riding outside it and whatnot lol

Products Discussed in

To Top