1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible 2001 Purchase - Need Frame Advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Clutch71, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Apr 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    Clutch71

Clutch71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello, all. Need some advice on a possible purchase. Have been looking for a 4wd truck or SUV for months and I'm the type to over-analyze things. After a lot of research and thinking, I've decided on a Toyota truck due to reliability. Plus, my first car was a 1977 Corolla Station Wagon that I wish I still had. Anyhow, I found a one-owner 2001 Tacoma TRD in Imperial Jade with tan interior (one of my favorite combos) with high miles (almost 215k), but the service records are insane. Regular oil and filter changes, check ups over any thing in question, etc. In addition to a good car fax, I found a stack of maintenance records in the glove box along with the PO's name. Cold called the guy and he was gracious enough to talk to me for about 30 minutes about his beloved truck which he traded for a new Tacoma. He also offered some more service records which wouldn't fit in the glove box.

So, I've wrapped my brain around the high mileage. Belts recently replaced, new Michelins, OCD quality maintenance. I pitched a lowball offer which was accepted subject to 1. financing (it's an old truck with high miles), and 2) the bigger issue, as most would guess, is the frame. There is a lot of visible rust on the frame in front control arms although the rest of the truck is outstanding.

The truck has always been a Missouri truck which is not on the list of severe cold weather states on Toyota's list. I disagree with that assessment but whatever. I've read Toyota's policy and scoured forums before joining this one. The dealer advised that the frame can be replaced up to 15 years from date of service. After reading the policy, it appears this only applies if the truck was in the list of severe cold weather states and inspection/corrosion protection was done before end of 2012. I'm going from memory, so bear with me if this is not accurate.

Truck is set for frame inspection tomorrow. I want the truck as it is perfect other than frame concerns. Ideally, it will fail and I can get a new frame and associated parts. Knowing my luck, the truck will pass and then fail 2 years down the road when the 15 years has expired.

I should also mention that I entered the VIN number on Toyota's site, and it stated there was no open recall on the truck.

After all that, I guess my question is what to expect since the truck is a Missouri truck and does not appear to have been inspected before or had additional corrosion protection applied. If the frame is bad, will they replace it? As much as I like the truck, I can't buy a truck that will fail inspection within 2 years and have no recourse for frame replacement or repair. Other posts appear to be guys with 1995-2000 trucks who missed the inspection deadline. Could not find a post from anyone with a 2001-2004 in my situation.

In addition, is it possible to buy the frame kit from Toyota or another vendor? I could beat them down further on the price and then possibly replace in a couple of years if it is financially beneficial to do so. I realize this is probably not the case, but thought I would ask. Haven't found any vendors online so far that make or sell Tacoma frames. Seems to be a great market for that though as these are great trucks and have a very devoted following.

Sorry for the long-winded first post. Thanks in advance for any replies or feedback. Hope to have a Tacoma soon so the modding can begin.

2. Apr 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    If the truck is not part of the recall then any new frame is on you financially.

meticulous records is a definite good sign for purchasing it but it all depends on what the inspector says. If it's just surface and not serious you can have it undercoated somewhere for a fee. check around the area that the control arms connect to as well and any other part near the surface. Although if you are taking it to a certified/reputable frame inspector they should know this

3. Apr 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Never coat over rust, makes it more corrosive. You can spray it with chemical that destroys it, available at a pro paint store.

The early 2nd Gens really had rust probs but all Tacos suffer from it. My 07 has cancerous rust on the frame in spots. My old 88 had the body panels rust off.

Why Toyota deal with rust after decades is a mystery to me? But in every other way a great truck. I say if the rust is not far progressed you get it. After all rust moves slowly in most environments anyway.

4. Apr 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Clutch71

Clutch71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you both for the replies. I'll just see what the inspector says. I'm hoping the frame fails and the truck is covered. I've had good luck with POR15 but have never used it on a project as big as a frame. I'll keep posting. Thanks again.

5. Apr 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    I was in your exact same shoes about two months ago. I ended up buying a 2001 4x4 TRD from a dealership in Jersey. When the truck got to me, I was really expecting it to be rusted quite a bit. Turned out truck was mint. It had the frame and all suspension parts replaced last year per Toyota's inspection. Mine has 199,000 on the clock and runs mint. Soooo much better than my 99 4banger Taco.

I think you're right to think Missouri trucks will have rust. I had a dealership that was going to sell me a 2001 silver TRD and it was Missouri bound all its life and was almost dead from rust. So glad I didn't buy it.

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    Clutch71

Clutch71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well yesterday we put the truck on the rack and I watched the Service Tech test it. I also found Toyota's procedure on the interwebs and had it in pocket in case he tried to pull a fast one. Fortunately, the guy seemed very honest and knowledgeable, had been a tech for over 20 years and now is the Master Tech who runs the service department. Right now, the frame is solid with no perforation. The Tech said he almost wished there was as they have replaced several frames and are comfortable doing them. I was hoping for a fail, but it's solid . . . for now. I probably should have run, but I pulled the trigger and am taking my chances. Warranty good through October 2016, so I have 2 1/2 years. Given Missouri's weather the past 3 years (it snowed heavy all afternoon yesterday), I'm rolling the dice. Really like the truck, and it felt right to do. Hoping I don't regret this. Thanks again to everyone chiming in. Pics up later.

7. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Congratulations! I have a feeling that you will be very satisfied and ultimately feel that your Taco was a great value.

No used vehicle is perfect. There are always inherited issues and new ones are sure to crop up. But all in all Toyota trucks have a proven track record for being both reliable and long lasting.

8. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    ^ this. just keep up on inspection and you should be fine. take care of any issues and the frame will last as long as you need it :)

Products Discussed in

To Top