1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unusual sway when brakes applied

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kdwellssr, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    kdwellssr

kdwellssr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma ext cab 4x4 v6 automatic
    30.5 tires, Nerf bars, Brush guard, Trailer tow kit
    I have a 99 Tacoma ext cab 4x4 automatic. I live in south so I don't have rust issues. Done a lot of work to truck since I got it 6 years ago. I have a ongoing issue that I'd like to find answers for. It run and drives great. Smooth in tight corners and a all around great truck with 200 k + miles. However... if going into a left hand turn corner and I apply the breaks I get a quick movement of the truck "body?" and when I release the breaks it goes back. It doesn't seem to affect the steering as it doesn't pull to any direction and doesn't cause truck to slide or skid. Right front tire is cupping on the inside tread. Tires are 30.5 A.T. This action will sway in the opposite direction if the corner taken is a right turn. When I say the Body is because it doesn't seem to make going through the corner and different at least that I've noticed. I would have thought ball joints but I've changed all of them and wheel bearings and shocks. Anyone got any ideas of what to look for? It kind of feels like applying the brakes cause the brake caliper to pull the rotor "from the top" to a upright position instead of a tilted position of the turn.....as if the wheels would be slightly tilted outward on top while making the turn, but if brakes are not applied curve goes very smooth, just a thought.

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    I'm probably of little help but I'll suggest the easiest to look at...sway bar bushings? Not brake related but it's the first thing that popped in my head.

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    travelfeet

travelfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Troy, NY
    Vehicle:
    02 xtra 4x4 v6
    I had a BMW a while back with similar behavior. Oddly enough it turned out to be the engine mounts. I could have sworn it was the front end shifting around when braking/accelerating in a corner, but it was in my head. It was really hard to identify what I was feeling, but once I looked at the mounts its was obvious. Nothing like realizing your engine is just held in place by gravity and the tranny. Mounts on both sides were completely separated... anyway your explanation sounds similar.

Good luck.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    w00dy

w00dy Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    On my 99 tacoma (rip), I had a brake line up front that was delaminating on the inside. It was causing that caliper to brake later than the other side.

5. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    This. Also check your rear brakes, if they aren't engaging enough the truck will sway.

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    kdwellssr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I had already replaced both sway bushings as they were shot. I will look into motor mounts next. I will reply back when completed

7. Apr 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    kdwellssr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    If the problem was a brake line as you had wouldn't it make the truck steering pull to one side when brakes applied?

8. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:39 AM
    kdwellssr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Got it fixed. The problem was the A arm lower bushings. They are a difficult fix but once they were replaced. The front end was way out of adjustment. Had it aligned and problem is gone. Thanks to all that replied.

JC15Taco and DrZ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top