1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust leak fix

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Petrol, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Apr 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Petrol

Petrol [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The rust finally ate through one of the two bolts that secures the flange fitting just aft of the first converter. That in turn caused the gasket between the flanges to fail. I thought I was going to be in for a tough fix but it turned out to be far simpler than I expected.
    I'll run down the procedure I used and maybe it will help someone else. Supplies needed: new gasket (About $5.00, get a spare while you're at the parts store), two 1" x 5/16" coarse thread bolts, two flat washers, two lock washers, two coarse thread nuts, the appropriate number of cold beers.

Sorry, no pictures, I was in a hurry:
    • One bolt on my flange was gone, so nothing to do there.
    • No torch available so I used an angle grinder to cut off the nut on the other bolt and a pair of vice grips to twist out the remaining bolt head. WEAR EYE PROTECTION unless you like digging rusty metal out of your eyes. I suspect a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel would work also if you took your time.
    • tap the joint with a hammer to break the flanges apart and then use a large screw driver to separate the two flanges.
    • While using the large screwdriver to hold the flanges apart, use a smaller screwdriver to remove the remaining portions of the old gasket.
    • Place the new gasket over the pipe protruding from the front flange. The flat metal side of the gasket faces forward.
    • Realign the flanges and remove the large screwdriver allowing the gasket to be trapped between the two flanges.
    • Insert the new bolts with flat washers in the front flange so that the threaded portion points to the rear of the truck. Add the lock washers and nuts to the bolts and tighten everything up evenly.
    • put your tools away, shake the rust out of your hair and get a beer.
    DONE !

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    KTM753 and Mush Mouse like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top