Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird idle/stopped noise

Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Weird idle/stopped noise

I've got this really weird noise coming from my truck. Its almost like a squealing sound, no grinding or clunking noises. It happens once I've come to a stop and the motor is at idle, but if i shift into neutral it stops. Happens in 2WD, 4WD HI & LO. I thought it was just a wet belt at first, but its starting to concern me and is kinda embarassing when your stopped at a light or in drive thru. Could really use any help on this.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

any help at all? has anyone else had any troubles llike this?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Tacoma Lover
tablesalt is on a distinguished road

tablesalt's Tacoma Gallery
your belt might be slipping? when was the last time you had your fan belt service? I might be wrong, but I figure I throw something out there.

tablesalt
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
bishes love my haircut

that might be it, i havent had belts looked at since i bought the taco last sept. im thinking it could be the idler pulley since it only does it at idle
Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
bishes love my haircut

ok well im hoping its just a belt or pulley because i got enough to fix on the taco.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Tacoma Lover
tablesalt is on a distinguished road

tablesalt's Tacoma Gallery
keep us updated

tablesalt
Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on your truck? bc all your should be changed at around 90K..
Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
bishes love my haircut

got around 110,550-ish on the odo right now.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah! def. change all your belts if it wasnt done at 90K man... Thats a must do!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Janster has it right. Sounds like your ideler pully.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
bishes love my haircut

ok well, i'll check it out myself or have someone take a look at it. if its just the AC idler, about how serious is it and how much could it cost?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
ok well, i'll check it out myself or have someone take a look at it. if its just the AC idler, about how serious is it and how much could it cost?
The ideler is about $40.00 or so. Maybe less. Its been a while since I priced them out. Just remove the belt, and replace it. I think there is only 2 or 3 bolts holding it on.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
bishes love my haircut

ok, well thanks for the help guys, I may take a look at it after church tomorrow. I'll kepp yall posted.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
bishes love my haircut

Ok, today I think if figured out what the weird noise coming from the taco is. I stopped at my mailbox and the noise started, luckily I was stopped on an incline so i lfet it in drive. I got out and walked around to see where it was coming from. It sounded like it was coming from the back, so I looked around at back and noticed it was coming from the rear passenger side wheel area. I knew I had a broke exhaust hanger so I just wiggled the exhaust around to see if anything happened and when I would push the exhaust off the frame, the noise stopped. So I'm thinking the noise is just the exhuast hanger vibrating against the frame. So I'm gonna try to get it welded up and see if that fixes the noise.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
bishes love my haircut

Alrighty, I finally got the exhaust hanger welded back up so now the weird noise is gone.