1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with rear wheel bearing, axle seals and cat converter.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by The wormer, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Apr 21, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    The wormer

The wormer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    None at the moment. will be changing that soon!! ;)
    My 02 tacoma v6 trd hit 153k today and I decided that it's time to change some stuff out. I am going to be doing rear wheel bearing, axle seals, and I have been told my cat is pretty plugged so a new one of them is needed. I have tried using the search and couldn't find anything on the stuff. Is there a certain brand I should buy for the bearing and seals? Which do people like the most? I do a quite a bit of off-roading if that matters. And last is there different cats? I googled it and got confused on which ones are which. Any help would be great!

2. Apr 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    The wormer

The wormer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    None at the moment. will be changing that soon!! ;)
    I forgot to note that I do not have ABS brake

3. Apr 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If you have the TRD E-locker, your rear has the provisions for ABS. Regardless if the truck has ABS or not.
    There are a bunch of subtle issues to be aware of with the ABS type rear. I used OEM parts. The OEM bearing can be had these days from various parts houses for a tad less than online discount Toyota dealers.

Here are a few links, the issues are spread out a bit so read all of the posts.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/274582-proper-way-press-new-rear-wheel-bearing.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/277005-stubborn-inner-axle-seal.html

Here's one more with some other improvised seal drivers.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top