1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for new shocks/springs...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by andrewdhoffman, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    andrewdhoffman

andrewdhoffman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    '96 5s4WD2.7
    Howdy y'all,

Looking to upgrade suspension on a '96 Tacoma. Have no clue what I'm doing. This is my first 4x4. 5 speed/4-cylinder. All gear is currently OEM and has 135,xxx-ish on it. I'm about 85% on-road/commuter..with any off-road being relatively benign compared to most of y'all (EG: no crawling). Would rather not spend more than $750 on equip. Any suggestions?

2. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    Why upgrade as this is the most important question.

Are you looking for more flex, increased tire size or better looks? You've said you're not into crawling so what do you see as the most likely scenario you'll encounter off-road?

3. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    andrewdhoffman

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    '96 5s4WD2.7
    Ah, great question! Upgrade only if convinced its worth it. It was suggested by a friend to contact Yota and get OEM stock stuff. "Will ride like new..." Great point. I like climbing adventures so I'd be off-road in Mexico and really who knows what I'd encounter. So if upgrade- something mid-range?

Also...looking for better ride. Current suspension is bouncy as all get-out!

4. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    Gladeskier

Gladeskier Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    '95 4x4 Taco V6
    ARE topper, manual hubs
    I'm in the same boat. Looking forward to seeing the responses as well.

5. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    dispatch55126

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    IMO, the OEM suspension leaves alot to be desired. You'll also get a hundred different opinions based on what "they" think is best. My advice to you is do nothing for now. Read this forum (or others), see what everyone else is doing, check out the vendor sites and go from there.

To answer the first post about cost. Yes, it is possible to "upgrade" your suspension for $750. I say upgrade because you'll be reusing some parts but that may be fine for you.

Now, for my opinion...

I've gone through various suspension upgrades on past vehicles and while I hate the phrase, "Buy once, cry once" applies in the long run when considering cost savings. Now, this doesn't mean that you should immediately go out and buy a $3k suspension and tire package because you "may" go that high some point in the future.

What it means is that you should look at your needs and what you like/dislike about the current setup. Maybe you don't necessarily want to lift it but want to improve the overall handling and flex. Bilstein 5100's and OME 881's will leave you at roughly stock height but improve handling. For the rear end, you could do 5100's and a AAL (Add A Leaf) cheaper than replacing the spring pack. However, the ride will be stiffer due to the added leaf.

For me, I have no plans on increasing the tire size taller than 31". Going taller would require regearing and since I'm regearing I might as well add lockers, etc. to which I have no particular desire at this point to do. I also have no particular interest in replacing bumpers but that may change if I find that I need a winch down the road.

Knowing what my limit on tire size is allows me to see what the greatest amount of lift for me will be which is 1.5", maybe 2". With that in mind, I'm largely set on 5100's and OME 883's for the front end. The struts are adjustable and will allow me to adjust the rake. The final decision on the coils will be after I get some trail time and gauge if I need or want a winch.

For the rear, I'm again going to get 5100's but replace the leaf packs with Alcan 8-leaf springs. The reason I'm going with the Alcans is the lack of overload leaves. IMO, the overload hanging out there is asking to get caught on something. I rarely haul anything heavy enough that an overload spring is necessary. However, that decision is based on my own habits.

TL/DR Crowd
    No one can tell you what is perfect for you but what is perfect for them. The one difference is if there is a truly bad product out there. You need to decide what your final goal is and then start researching what you need to get to that goal.

6. Apr 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Going from what I see on these forums, a lot of people go with Bilstein 5100s. That's what I will be upgrading to when funds become available. I might get new leaf springs as well.

7. Apr 24, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Put on the front and back billies-I like them.
    Also, AAL for more rear stiffness hauling loads.

8. Apr 27, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    andrewdhoffman

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    '96 5s4WD2.7
    Wow...thanks for all the info guys! I ordered a set of 5100's from 4Wheelparts and got a phone call from a nice guy saying 5100's don't work for my truck. I feel like this might be an error as just about everyone suggests 5100's for their Tacoma.

9. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:55 AM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db

When did you decide on the Alcon 8packs??? There on back order bud... I found out the day I ordered mine.... Something else we gotta wait on lol

10. Apr 28, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    Aztecs

Aztecs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB V6 4x4 SR5
    Debadge, Tailgate lock, 3" ProComp Suspension Lift, ProComp wheels and tires, Volant CAI with ram air scoop.
    Go to the Toytec website. You can look at several options for your truck. I went with Bilstein for my 99 Tacoma.

11. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    dispatch55126

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    I won't ordering a lift anytime soon. My posting was my long term plans as funds/spare time become available.

12. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db

I know how that feels I wanna SAS mine but my ol lady wants a ring....

Products Discussed in

To Top