1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I kill my truck? New strut assembly.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Freki, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Freki

Freki [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    99 4 banger
    image.jpg

Doesn't look right at all. I was expecting the shock to compress inside the spring and the control arms to go back to normal.

Am I in trouble?

2. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Looks like mine

P1015087_zps0d54c6fa_c4c436daf29b4ce151ed3cfb4542459ecfd6462e.jpg

It will settle a bit after driving, that picture is mine after a few hundred miles. The 4cyl won't compress the springs as much as the V6 so that is part of it too. Basically just check them every so often and know it's a potential weak spot. I'll be getting uniball UCA's because I'm scared of the balljoint giving out, but there's people on here who run it like that no problem

3. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Stock ucas - it's a hit or miss with an alignment unfortunately, but as long as they were installed correctly you should be good.

4. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    Freki

Freki [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    99 4 banger
    Thanks for the replies.

I got back to normal by jacking up the lower control arm until I could get the tire back on.

Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see the road over the hood haha.

Hopefully the driver side install goes a little smoother.

5. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Is this a stock set up? Or is it a lift set up? If it is a stock set up, you may need to dis assemble you new struts and twist the strut rod to release it from the body, or you spring cup may be up side down. Show a complete picture of the entire strut assembly, strut manufacture, and any other details you may have left out.

Products Discussed in

To Top