1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HD Leaf spring question...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beantown, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Apr 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    beantown

beantown [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello all,

It seems that I need new leafs for my 2004 DC 4x4, and I have read alot the posts for on the forum. I will be ordering new ones from Generalsprings.com soon, but I don't know if I should go with the Heavy Duty ones or just the stock ones. My truck rides a little stiff and rough right now, and wonder if it will ride better than now. I do not have a lift, and don't plan on having a lift, I like my Tacoma's stock. My question is, how much rougher of a ride are the HD springs compared to the stock ones? I do have a cab on my truck and do plan to tow a boat a couple times a year. I really just don't want the ride to be jarring on a normal basis, because it is my DD. Any info on the HD springs from general would be great.

Thanks so much for all the help.

2. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Worn out stock springs and shocks usually ride softer than normal, not stiffer and sag in the rear as well. What are you running now? If you don't know, take some photos and post them.

3. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    beantown

Member:
    I don't really know what I have, I thought they were stock. My truck has about 110000 miles on it. It does not seem to sag much in the rear, but I have axle wrap really bad and the springs are clearly frowning. Also, I have a pretty bad bounce at highway speeds, I have ordered shocks and a Carrier bearing. I will try that first, but need to get rid of the axle wrap, clunking when I brake hard.... Here are some pictures.

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    photo 5.jpg

4. Apr 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    beantown

Member:
    Hi all.

Is anyone out there, running HD leafs from General springs?

Any idea what springs are on my truck, from the pictures attached?

Thanks

5. Apr 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    If you're bed is usually empty (except for your cap) I'd just get the regular replacement leafs. The HD ones would probably be a little stiff for your setup.

That being said, I agree with Tan4x4. If your current springs are worn out, you'll get a soft ride, not stiff. I wonder if your spring and shackle bushings are all gummed up... be sure to check those out and replace them as necessary.

6. May 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    beantown

Member:
    I will check out all the shackles and bushings. I am just wondering if anyone out there has purchaced the HD springs, and wondering how they ride.

Anyone, HD springs?

7. May 6, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    TacomaJay09

TacomaJay09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    I have them for my second gen and the ride is WAY better than stock. It is definitely stiffer, but more stable as well. I would actually use firmer rather than stiffer to describe it.

8. May 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    beantown

Member:
    thanks so much Jay! I am leaning toward the HD springs, but just didn't want the ride to be jarring. I will also be towing a boat and have a pretty heavy cap. How does yours run on the highway? Any bouncing or vibrating?

Thanks again.

9. May 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    TacomaJay09

TacomaJay09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    The ride is great, but since install I have developed the dreaded drive line vibe. I love the leafs and don't want to go back to stock but if I cant fix the vibe they are gone. With the cap and extra weight you may be ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top